General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi & VW transmission torque converter recall problem TSB P0741 NTSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi & VW transmission torque converter recall problem TSB P0741 NTSB

Hi All,

I located several threads on both Audi and VW forums that openly discuss the defective seals installed in torque converters used in both VW and Audi automatic transmissions for various years of manufacture. I also found the Audi/VW TSB that addresses the know problem which throws a P0741 fault code and the Audi/VW recommendation to replace the faulty torque converter.

Is anyone aware of a Audi/VW recall where the manufacturer has stepped up to take responsibility for installing sub-standard seals that lead to pre-mature torque converter failure? This could be a safety issue if there were to be a catastrophic failure of the torque converter while driving on a crowded highway and an accident ensued.

Anyone aware of Audi/VW covering the cost of replacement outside the manufacturer warranty period?

Anyone aware of or interested in filing a class action complaint with the NTSB to force Audi/VW to take responsibility to recall and replace faulty torque converters?

Thanks~Mark

Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

I have an 2003 Audi A4 3.0 and I have the same code its been going on for the last 5,000 miles, I still cant seem to figure out what the issue is. I will try to replace the speed sensor and see if that might be it. The code P0741 started occurring after I placed 18 inch rims and bigger tires on the vehicle. I would be interested in dealing with the Audi filing a class action because my vehicle has 57,000 miles and its a shame if the transmission has to be changed/rebuilt at this time. Let me know if you found any solutions to your problem

Old 03-30-2014, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

i just had to replace my torque converter because of the seal it was leaking bad and caused the torque converter to burn up.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Default VW Jetta

Same issue just happened to me last week.

Torque converter burned up and melted with the seal out of nowhere. I have 79k miles on the car. Same code as well.

Now this will cost me $1600 to fix but I wonder what happened to the potential law suit. Sign me up!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by flyandi
Same issue just happened to me last week.

Torque converter burned up and melted with the seal out of nowhere. I have 79k miles on the car. Same code as well.

Now this will cost me $1600 to fix but I wonder what happened to the potential law suit. Sign me up!
I had a Revmax performance TC installed, new trans filter and performance trans fluid. No problems since then. I also had JHM catless downpipes installed, JHM modified TCU, JHM 93 octane ECU tune, AFE Drypro air filter, and SS Magnaflow mufflers. Due to all the additional off-road modifications, I didn't think it prudent for me to pursue a class action suit. On the bright side, the A4 Avant now moves like a raped ape and has a nice mellow sound that turns raspy when you drop the hammer.