General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Auto or Stick

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Default Auto or Stick

Hey all. I'm about to purchase a new '05 1.8T AWD. But i'm not sure if I should get the manual or auto transmission. I hear the manual are more fun to drive and the auto is a bit sluggish. My g/f cant drive a stick but maybe its time she learn. :-) What do you all drive and are you happy with what you got?

Old 01-24-2005, 09:44 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Auto or Stick

I would go for the manual hands down. I have auto, and regret it every time I drive. What are you doing letting your girlfriend drive you car!!!???

Old 01-25-2005, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

I have driven stick for years and years BUT this is the first time I have lived in the mountains. When I was test driving the Z I was sooooooooo scared of the 6 speed b/c of the monsterous hills around here, I can see me rolling back every other day into someone who has stopped behind me on a hill soooooooooo.....I opted for the 5 speed auto on the Z and love the option!!!! Manual when you want it, auto when you don't--doesn't really lag and isn't sluggish at all.... (the autos keep up w/ the manuals in the 1/4 mile AND on the road courses...I've seen supercharged autos, autos w/ twin turbos and autos w/ NOS too!!!) We got the 6 speed auto in the A6 also. The A6 is our "luxury" vehicle, and I haven't used the manual option except when I was driving to work in the horrible snow last week, it works but I have a feeling I won't be using the manual option that often on the audi, just in the snow....

Old 01-28-2005, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

I have the 05' 6-speed tiptronic! My dad wouldnt get me a manual.....but it turns out the tip is just as fun!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear

i would not even compare thr auto with stick, and yea Jestnomen is right, what the hell you doing lettin your g/f drive your car, i dont even let my mom drive mine, and i dont have anything against girls driving, but my car they wont be driving no way, so i would go with stick

Old 02-08-2005, 04:06 AM
Administrator

i have a tip but i wish i had a stick

Old 02-09-2005, 05:40 AM
1st Gear

Before my A6, I drove a stick til 2000 (Opel Calibra). For five years I drove only auto. I was kind of sceptic about a shift because traffic can be a b**** here in St. Louis, MO and my daily commute involves a lot of "stop 'n' go" driving. When I ran into my baby, I figured WTH, since it's a twinturbo, I'll go for it and don't regret it, I actually can't even think about switching back to auto now. You have a better control over the car and the stick is more reliable. Granted, you can do "engine breaking" with a tip too, but it's not the same. IMO, both hands and both feet should be involved in driving a car.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:26 PM

WTF your dad wouldn't get u a manual what is your dad doing buying u a Audi anyways wtf is this world coming too i think i'm going to cry

ORIGINAL: AUDI05

I have the 05' 6-speed tiptronic! My dad wouldnt get me a manual.....but it turns out the tip is just as fun!

Old 02-09-2005, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

HAHAHAHHAH CLC you are right wtf is this world coming too hahahha thats funny

Old 02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
6th Gear

Well when I was 16 my parents bought me a brand new A4.... Oh wait I bought myself a p.o.s. old beater truck. *sigh*

Quick Reply: Auto or Stick