General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Autozone brakes? or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Autozone brakes pads? or not?

So lately I've been hearing my brakes squeal when coming to a stop and I started to think, instead of checking to see if the pads have enough meat on them, should I replace them with autozone ceramics? Once I buy it once, I'll have a warranty to keep getting new ones.

So inputs anyone???

Ps. And should I have to change them, do I need any special tools, hex tools, to change the brake pads?

Last edited by westhive4life; 12-10-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

Guess nobody uses autozone brake pads

Old 12-10-2011, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

I've been looking for brakes on my B5 S4. Honestly, the total price at autozone is probably gonna cost you more then it would for a bundle package online. That's how it is for me anyways. I could save a couple hundred on a bundle package over autozone. Do some looking around online. Check vastperformance, ecstuning, everywhere. If you're gonna go through the trouble, go through the trouble once and be done with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Guru

don't buy autozone brake pads, yes you can keep replacing them every 3 months or so for free, but you'll be replacing them every 3 months.... i bought them for my s-10 and ended up replacing a rotor cause the pads wore off so fast that the rivots ate the rotor

Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
4th Gear

I have the lifetime warranty Duralast from AZ. After driving around for two years with the light on (I got the wrong sensor) I thought I heard a squeak. So, I went and "bought" a new pair from AZ and did a swap. After 2 years, the pads still looked almost new. (But they still honored the warranty because I heard a squeak).

Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

I've had it before on my Honda and 2 years later they still had a good amount of meat left on the pads. I don't have a lead foot do I don't think I'll be running through the pads that much

Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

I've never had a problem with them. If you're not auto crossing or anything like that then general service level brake pads will be fine. Anything in a race compound or better will be total overkill and actually would likely decrease the performance you'll see on the street since they won't see the heat they want to reach optimum performance.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

I wasn't even getting into performance. I was just talking about price. Altogether parts for my s4 from autozone is about 400 bucks. And thats with the only rotors available and duralast gold pads. where-as vastperformance has a full brakes kit with everything included front and back, right now for $300. and its all manufacturer recommended parts (pagid pads, pilenga rear rotors, and zimmermann front rotors). plus, I won't have to worry about skimping on anything, and save $100. like I said, just look around online and you'll find better deals. especially right now during the holidays

Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

I'll definitely be looking for those holiday deals

Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 AM
1st Gear

Best place online for parts is RockAuto Auto Parts

Quick Reply: Autozone brakes? or not?