General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

B6 A4 cranking only

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 PM
MTS
1st Gear
Default B6 A4 cranking only

So after fixing the last coolant leak(gone all the way around; water pump, thermostat expansion tank and now coolant flange), I had the car warming up. The EPC light stayed on and after 15-20 warming the car up, it died.. Won't start anymore. Cranks only. I have a OBD2 reader (no vag) and got the P0688. Found fuse 29 blown. Replaced and it blew again once the ignition was turned on.
I bought this car a little over a month ago and it was more or less dead due to the bad thermostat. I haven't received the maintenance records yet, but have do doing some needed things. Hitachi coil packs and new plugs, new fuel filter and an oil change.
The bad timing of this that I had began chasing a ever growing misfire at cylinders 3 and then at 2. But it only happened randomly at start up. I could get the rmp up and it would go away. Ran smooth after initial miss. The coil pack plugs were mostly gone, so oddly enough I have a new cp harness on the way, as well as crank sensor (I have been reading about inevitable sensor failures..).
Another question. I tried checking at the fuel rail, and no fuel sprayed out with the key in the on position. Will the pump still work if fuse 29 is blown?
Thought I'd try to get a head start on diagnosing this and I could use any advice given. This is my first non gm car, but you could say I have gotten my hands dirty before.
Thanks, Mike

Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
MTS
1st Gear

Corroded coil pack wiring harness. At all four plugs the sheath was gone from each wire. A little electrical tape around each wire and then the looms. Replaced the fuse and fired it right up. Think it will do till the replacement harness comes in next week.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 AM
MTS
1st Gear

That will be a NEGATIVE on the wiring harness from ECS. I knew it wasn't a direct fit but I'm not sure how to cut & splice this thing to make it worth it. Maybe it's not intended for a AMB 1.8? But I thought I'd take a shot.
I think I would have to cut/splice the harness into the factory to start, and then replace the the smaller gauge wires for power, run new longer wires for the grounds(not the same gauge), and get the rubber booties for at the clips. I thought I'd try to save over $130 over the "034" harness, and now I'll be $50 over and lost a week...
Lessons learned.

(b6 a4 for the record)

Old 12-04-2011, 03:54 PM
MTS
1st Gear

I gotta give big props to the guys at 034 motorsports. They got me the harness by Saturday and it was an easy install. I had already had the factory harness stripped and pulled out. Having the crimp tool already, simple connector to install and it's plug and play!
Needles to say, no misfires and a smooth rpm band. I did modify the "ecs" harness to work on mine. Only the 034 harness made it in the day I finished mine. Now I've got an extra coil pack harness...
I'd like to say what will I get to fix next, but the passenger wiper arm already has taken the prize. (lost the nut and the plastic piece on the end of the arm broke, i know..a plastic piece broke)

Old 12-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Banned

I know they make an Audi tool. Not sure if the Blauparts tool kit was Audi, or third party, but it had a bunch of very useful tools. I just don't know where to get my hands on them.

Is there a source to buy the factor tools, or aftermarket tools specifically designed for the 1.8?