General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

belly pan necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:37 AM
1st Gear
Default belly pan necessary?

I have a 99 a6 that needs some front end body work. I removed the belly pan due the damage to the bumper cover. I will be getting everything fixed shortly but I wanted to see what the pros and cons are to replacing (or not) the belly pan.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: belly pan necessary?

Cons-less aerodynamic, slightly louder engine noise.
Pros-leaks go to the ground so you can see them instead of collection in the pan.

The thing is really no necessary and you probably wont see any difference with or without it.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Administrator

I have a slighly different opinion. Dank may agree, based on his knowledge, once I share what I have.

I used to sport a Opel Calibra, Turbo, back when I lived in Europe. It, too, was an AWD. (notice my s/n?) It, too, had a belly pan. Minor front dinger occured shortly after I took possession of the car. Cracked teh front bumper cover pretty badly, shattered both headlight covers, too. So, I took it to the shop recommended by my insurance company (never do that, if you can help it). When everything was back together they neglected to put the belly-pan back on. I didn't notice this until SEVERAL months later when I drove through a BIG puddle, on the autobahn, at about 150kph, and teh resulting splash wet my acessory drive pully's and I temporairly lost my power steering (and my lights dimmed, but that was't that crucial, at the moment, steering WAS!)

The belly pan isn't there to protect your driveway from drips. It's to protect the underside of your engine from things that can fly UP from the road and intefere with your motor's normal operations... Replace it as soon as you can...

Old 09-10-2006, 01:22 AM
4th Gear

No it's not neccesary. simply put. both my cars got theirs ripped off because they were lowered so not neccessary but good to have.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:15 AM

I would say you should simply put what you have back. its not a lot of protection. So like on highway a rock hits your carter, oil splashish out and youy stranded, you would hit your ***** so hard becouse you didnt put the cover back. probably lose contishness too, so lets awoide it.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

Never thought of that Awdaholic. Thats definatly a possibiblty thou. Althouth i have seen quite a few people that never had any problems without the belly pan.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Administrator

admittedly, the chances of running through a puddle at 90, in America, IS pretty remote. All I know is that it scared the living schitt outta me to lose my steering (not completely, but, power-steering WITHOUT power is HARDER than not having power-steering) for almost 30 seconds... fortunately teh road was mostly straight, at that point, so I didn't have an "off." Having gone through it once, I wouldn't wish it on friend or foe... OK, maybe a foe, but not any of my AF friends

Old 09-10-2006, 02:12 PM

I tried driving without power strering, its freaking hard.
on cars without power steering going 5 MPH and you can easily move the wheel. on cars with powerstering going any speed with engine off, you barelly can move it around.

Whats the deal with that.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Administrator

if you have powersteering, but it's malfunctioniog, or your car is off, not only are you stering against the mechanical connections within your steering system, but also against the hydraulics, too. Ever try to compress a damper (shock absorber to us Americans)? same thing... except TOTALLY different[&:]

Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Default Every thing is connected!

Never try to disturb the nature unless you admit the consiq! Experience mourns!!

While parking my A4, front bumper got kissed to a parking curb, which has got blind tooth(rod) clutched on to my Belly Pan that made me to get rid of the pan..

I was ok for 2 days and the third day, while peddling on 85 mph, on an inter state curve, I lost the regular audi control over the steer and almost hit the fella next line. I was told that it caused due to the incontrolled aerodynamics. Now I know the Belly Pan's importance !!
y'all know that Audi makes you confident on speeding and its grip control on the curve, you fall into the habit! This I came to know after driving some of my friend's other make cars ..

As far as I know, Audi parts are connected to each other. So replace the part, whatever small it is! Do not neglect!!

-
Umakanth Nelige

Quick Reply: belly pan necessary?