General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bleeding Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Bleeding Brakes?

I just got some new brake pads and got them fitted. But I noticed that I had no brake fluid, Ive been told that just puting some more fluid wont really help as they now have air in them....

What does that mean? Can I just pump the brake pedal to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Bleeding Brakes?

NO! that will NOT solve the problem. Punping teh brakes will compress the air in the line, eventually, but, you'll hafta PUMP like mad EACH TIME YOU WANT TO STOP!!!

They'll need to be bled. Bleeding brakes is semi-complicated, but not difficult. Unless you have the proper tools it's a two-man-job. Also, unless you know what you're doing you'll prolly just create an environmental hazard by wasteing brake fluid all over teh place. Who "fitted" your pads? Was it a DIY? If so, how, exactly, did you go about fitting them? Brake fluid doesn't exactly evaporate from a brake system. It hadda go SOMEWHERE! Is there a leak in your system? Most likely, unless you inadvertantly let it all out while DIYing your pads. If ther IS a leak, where is it leaking from? You hafta solve THAT issue, FIRST, before you go pouring more fluid in.

Have someone who KNOWS whats what with brakes take a look at your car BEFORE you drive it anywhere else!

- Solve the "WHY" of why is there no brake fluid, FIRST!
- Replace your missing brake fluid.
- Bleed teh system.
- Drive happy! (Oh, and, check your vehicles fluids, every so often. I like to do it during my oil-change, or every 3000-5000 miles. Brake. Coolant. Steering. Battery. Beer... )

Old 11-20-2006, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

OK cool. I will get the help of a professional.
Im not sure where the fluid went. When I bought the car it had very little brakes, only when I brought it home and had a closer look under the bonnet did i notice there was no fluid.

Since my last post I have put some fluid in and pumped the brakes a little. At least now I have some brakes- but is it safe to drive?

Thanks for your advice!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
2nd Gear

To bleed the brakes is a DIY, if you are a little handy and can get a mate to help for an hour.

You will need the brake fluid, a length os small rubber hose, empty water bottle.

First fill the resivor 3/4 full, starting with the right rear wheel, loosten the bleeder screw, put hose over it put other end into the bottle, put some fluid in the bottle, enough to cover the end of hose, turn eginition to on position and with the cap OFF the resivor gently pump the brake pedal, fluid will then be pumped into the bottle pushing the air out of the system as well as any old fluid. do this for each wheel. fill the resivor as necessary, DO NOT LET THE RESIVOR GO EMPTY. next would be the left rear, then right front and lastly the left front.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:20 AM
Senior Administrator

Good DIY info, Beefski. But he's STILL gotta resolve why the res was dry. otherwise he'll just end up with an empty res, and no brakes, again, after a few stops. Which is why I advised he find someone with some know-how to find out why the fluid is gone. Once you've fixed THAT problem, by all means refer to Beefski's DIY. Oh, and , he forgot to mention not to reuse the fluid that you pump out during teh bleeding, as it may be contanimated.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

I just assumed that GT5 would know better than to re use the old fluid. Also use DOT4 fluid.
There may be a leak in the rubber brake line, as was my trouble. My leak was in the rear lines. Have a buddy look under each wheel as you gently pump the pedal to see it there are any leaks.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Hiya!

Took it to the garage and was told that I need a Rear Brake Compensator Valve. That isnt easy to find as even Audi themselves cant get one. I will probably have to buy a scrap Audi 80 or something as they share many parts up untill about 1985.

You guys havent got one lying around have you?

Old 11-22-2006, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

Where are you located?

Try shokan.com

Old 11-23-2006, 06:58 PM

I wana get rid of mine, and get better stoping power. its anoying sometimes, on highway, with the inertia forward of the car when you try to break, car tilts forward, and I lose all of my brakes in te rear.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: beefski

I just assumed that GT5 would know better than to re use the old fluid. Also use DOT4 fluid.
There may be a leak in the rubber brake line, as was my trouble. My leak was in the rear lines. Have a buddy look under each wheel as you gently pump the pedal to see it there are any leaks.
I have learned to never assume, especially when handing out advice. better to over compensate, than to have someone do something rertarded.

In the off chance that someone else, not curently identified as having a leaky-brake problem, is viewing this thread, another good place to inspect for leaks is where your rubber lines (that run from the caliper to the chassis) connect to the hard-lines. Over time, if you're not dilligent about replacing your fluid periodically the connection can corrode due to contanimated fluid. It just so happens that I hafta do some brake-line work on my sis-in-Law's Scooby-Do, for this very reason, once the weather brakes, or I find someone with a flatbed and a garage, close to me, who's wiling to help out for a case of Yuengling's, or sunthin[&:]

Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes?