General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake light lights come on at night!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Default Brake light lights come on at night!

I have a really weird thing going on. I have an 2002 A4 2.0 SE auto avant. Over the past week since I replaced the left brake bulb (which has a habit of blowing), both brake lights will come on in the middle of the night. No ignition key, all locked up, no alarm ringing, just the rear brake lights coming on, only at night! All you have to do to turn them off is open the car and step on the pedal. No need to use the key in the ignition. Is it the pedal switch, something to do with the auto system?? Why only at night! So this is a wild idea put to me by a freind who had a problem with his Passat (which probably share parts) , is is something like water from the aircon dripping onto a part of the electrical system while it cools at night? The aircon has been used quite a bit here lately, what a surprise? I'm loathed to go to a dealer as they will say replace all the wiring, the main computer - anything expensive. Maybe you have to reset something when you change a bulb nowadays. I am obviously baffled and obviously know nothing about car electrics. But I would like a good nights sleep! Help!