General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake pedal detached from booster rod..weird

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake pedal detached from booster rod..weird

For some reason I have a habit when i'm parked to kind of lift up on the brake pedal with the top of my foot. I never noticed that I did it though, until I broke my brake pedal in my 99 a4.

I took the knee panel off and took a look, and it seems the booster rod that comes through the firewall and attaches too the brake pedal is completely disconnected.

I still have brakes, the pedal still pushes the booster in, however its being pushed in at an angle now. Also, the pedal wont return up fully after its pushed in. The brake lights will stay on if you don't put your foot under the pedal and lift up on it, you can hear it snap and it goes up far enough to press in the brake light switch.

I temporarily fixed it once by just adjusting the brake light switch far enough that it would be in without the pedal being all the way up. But I made the same mistake I did in the first place and re broke it. So now i should probably try to fix it.

I saw an Audi parts guy/ex mechanic from a dealership in my shop one day and asked him about it, and he basically smirked and said I'm fucked, and that he'd never seen one come apart before, and didn't offer much else advice.

I know this is a weird problem and i know its my fault but if anyone has any advice, tips, or similar experiences please let me know...thanks