General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Default brakes

So, I ran over a nail and took my car to Firestone to get the hole plugged. Somehow it took them about an hour and a half, after a misdiagnosed "severe bead leak," which I'm pretty sure was not there, since my tire pressure had been completely stable until I pulled the nail out. When I finally got my car back, the brake pedal was extremely low, and the red BRAKE light on the dash was on solid.

I went back inside to inquire about this, and the mechanic told me it was like that when they got the car, and that it was "well documented." Though, when I looked at the invoice, the brake problem was written in a different pen than the other problems.

It seems really far fetched that this problem could result from a simple removal and installation of a wheel, but the fact that the mechanic missed the pinhole that I told him was there, and found a different leak that didn't exist, makes me mistrust him. Also the invoice thing is a bit sketchy. Plus it seems that a shop that does brake work would tell me about a seemingly severe problem with my braking system.

More about the problem: the brake pedal goes nearly all the way to the floor, with a slight hissing sound. The stopping power is about 75%, and seems to pull a bit to the left. The brake fluid is low, but seems to not be leaking--at least there isn't a puddle under the car. Prior to going to this place, my brakes worked just fine. The only issue I had was the ABS module that is a common problem on this car, which caused the ABS light to be solid and the BRAKE light to blink, but I removed the fuse for the module.

I plan on diagnosing and fixing this myself, but maybe somebody has some insight or similar experience that could save me some time.

Also, does this seem sketchy to anyone else?

Thanks for your time.