General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Broken "mystery hose". Need help figuring out what it is!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Default Broken "mystery hose". Need help figuring out what it is!

As I recently posted, I bought a '99 Audi A6 Quattro as a daily driver / fixer upper project. Earlier today I was investigating a smell (what I thought was oil burn off from a leak that I fixed). However, after checking underneath the engine cover, I noticed that the source of the smell was actually a broken hose emitting a white steam / smoke from within. I took it to Advance Autoparts, but the gentleman there could not identify what the name of the hose was (and what he guessed it was, he didn't have the part for anyways). I'd like to get a bit more specific on this matter. I have included pictures of the hose, as well as the break, and tried to show where the hose begins and ends. If anyone could identify this hose for me, that'd be great.

Also, I noticed that the hose has a plastic interior surrounded by a neoprene-like sheath (see circled picture). If I cannot find an exact replacement in town, would a similar sized hose from a parts store in town work just as well?

Thank you in advance!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Default Nevermind!

The "plastic interior" that I mentioned is actually a connector for two seperate hoses. That's what broke, not the hose itself (or, in this case, hoses). I replaced the insert and clamped the hoses down around it properly.