General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

to buy an A8???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 01:53 AM
1st Gear
Default to buy an A8???

hello, thanks in advance for any response, im sure this question has been asked before, but can anyone recommend either for or against used A8s. I am considering buying a 2000 A8L fully loaded with 57000 miles on it for about 25grand. Are they reliable, good in the bad weather, get good mileage? Do they have any ***** to them at all? I am looking for a car that is comforatble, reliable, good in bad weather if it occurs, and will not get a cops attention if I blast by him on the highway doing over 100 mph. I have considered EVOs and STIs, but they are a little ricey for my taste, plus, I wind up dumping moree money into BS upgrades, so I figure an A8 may be good.

Do they have any major common problems with being all aluminum, grounding and electrical problems? when are major services due like belts and h2o pumps etc, and how much shoudl i expect to pay at a dealer, or just in parts and do myelf ( Im a tech). basically, if anyone has any input as to whetehr or not buying a 50 plusk mile , $70 grand new luxury car out of warranty is just asking for trouble, or is it the kind of car you can drive all the time, enjoy, and just maintain?

Old 10-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Default RE: to buy an A8???

The A8's are a little bit of a sleeper i would say they move out pretty good for a v8 for relibility I work for a audi dealership and we don't really see the older ones come in much except for mainataince but saying that we don't really see to many older ones come in these days people who had the money to by the older A8's when they were new have now traded them in and gotten the 04 A8 and the older ones get wholesaled but there are still a few that come around and I can't think of anything major problems that we have seen with them but watch out if anything does go wrong every part on that vehicle is going to be expensive so my advice to you is bring the car to an Audi dealership or indepentent shop that knows Audis and get it checked out before you buy it