General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

BWA into BWE

Old 04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
1st Gear
Default BWA into BWE

Hi Guys

I hope you can help with what is probably a rookie question.

This applies to my AUDI A4 S LINE T FSI 4 DOOR SALOON 1984cc (18-11-2005) PETROL ...........to quote the print out!!

After a few days of rough running my local garage found that the counterbalance shafts had probably jumped a tooth, followed by a sprocket disintegrating. The car went in as a runner but after a service (to cure the "misfire" ) on re-start there was zero oil pressure and a sump inspection found the broken sprocket and chain etc...........a bit odd to happen on a restart when it went in running, but there was a problem so I accept the garage did not cause the breakages.

So I have been presented with an estimate for a new set of balance shafts and oil pump etc but since the engine has done over 100,000 miles it seemed a poor spend and I hoped a low mileage engine would be a better value option.

So I tracked down a company that could supply a low mileage BWE engine but when it arrived its engine number revealed it is actually a BWA.....apparently from a transverse engined A3. My garage have asked around and have been told it wont fit. The supplier of the engine have said that it will, and they have done it in their own workshops.

I suspect it will fit, but may need some stuff swapped over, like sumps etc.

What can the experts out there advise please?

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

Sorry for an unashamed bump up the list but if this engine wont go into my A4 I need to return it. Any assistance on this please?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2014, 06:16 AM
1st Gear
Default What was the end of it?

How did it end? Did you have to send it back or was it fitted? I need BWE now. Any idea where to find one?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:12 AM
1st Gear
Default BWA into BWE

My garage tell me it fitted after changing over a few items like sump, oil pick up and some top end stuff as well.

About 40,000 mile later the replacement engine broke in exactly the same way as the original one did.

The car was sold cheaply with that dead engine and my Mercedes allows me to concentrate on my business, not an unlimited supply of engines that break!

I live in a town which has 10 sharp bends to leave the place and I wonder if poor oil pick up every morning with a cold engine has something to do with the problem

I hope this feedback is more use than the response I had on this forum.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like fun... I bought the audi for 3800 with the problem hidden... 3 days later spend 250 to find out i need new engine. It really makes me want to go to seller and wait nearby till he'll go out of his driveway making accident from his fault! But by what you are saying I will be looking to change to the same code and as new as I can maybe they got the problem sorted few years later.

Thank you of your help I shell update as well what I have done when i'll do it.

Last edited by Forest83; 04-13-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Search this Thread