General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Leak - Did a forum search

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Car Leak - Did a forum search

I've done a search and found a few hits, none of them directly pointing to the flaw or the cause. From my best guess someone said to check the "grommet" under the ecu box and apply sealent most likely it is the case if you just had an amp installed (guessing where they drilled?)... What and how do i access the grommet?

And before that you might wanna tell me if that is even a possiblilty. What happens is when it rains, or when I get a car wash, my floor gets wet (primarily along the driver side backseat) and it seems to be the case along the "running boards" (on the inside, not sure if that is the technical term) actually seems to pool in there and then soak up into the floor from there. This is boththe board closest to the door and the one that isin the middle on the drivers side (in between the drivers seat and the passengers seat).I got most the water out so it wont mold (hopefully) but I would like to figure this out asap (I live in oregon, portlant area, so the weather isnt going to stay nice for much longer). I just got my amp and subs installed and noticed it right after (no problems before, that I noticed).

Thank you in advance

Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Car Leak - Did a forum search

You need to post what year your car is, what model, and if you have had stereo up-grades such as a amp and subwoofer upgrade.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear

Sorry, was in a hurry writing this must have just slipped my mind to post it. Its a 99.5 A4 Quattro TIP - Yes amp and sub upgrade.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

I figured I would find something on water leaks here... I've had my 99 A4 for three years now and for the second time the other day, the floor behind the drivers steat had collected a good inch of water. We had some record rain in Long Island, I've never seen anything like it. But, the first time it happened there was an empty water bottle in my back seat so I chalked it up to it spilling out. WRONG!! I checked both driver side door seals and they were good and all around the sun roof felt dry. I'm going to look into the ventilation system now and also this gromet your talking about. I also have a 99 A4 quatro with an amp and sub.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Cool, let me know. Another post said thats probably what it is if it's an amp and sub. But i didnt get any confirmation, and i would like a techs opinion. BTW Mine is a 2.8 if that makes any difference.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

any word??

Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 AM

Ok this sounds very similar to a problem I had with my car , (same model as yours) . If it is the same problem then take a look at the compartment where your battery lives , see if that is full of water . What was happening with my car was that the battery compartment drain was blocked , get a few days of heavy rain then it filled up , somewhere in the vicinity of said compartment are your vent intakes , the water was getting into the vents and flowing to the nearest low spot ie the vents underneath the drivers seat resulting in a large puddle behind the driver . Hope this helps .

Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Thanks!!! I'll take a look at it today see if that is the problem.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear

Still havent checked yet

Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

no worries, it seems to only leak when there is a lot of water (very heavy rain, car washs and hose) however, it would be nice to get another car wash soon. Btw- I think I may have found where the water is commin in from. There is a fitting that is around where the person who installed my amp drilled the car which isnt fitting right (I can move the thing up and down and there is a little gap) if I move the cord up a bit i see water where it normally is on the inside of the washer (if that makes any sense). I will try to seal it up and see if that fixes it... Dont see how that could make soo much water though, unless its just bad placement and when the windsheidl wipers go it funnels all the water down into it or something.

I'll try to get a picture in the next day or so for a more expert opinion

Quick Reply: Car Leak - Did a forum search