General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CHECK BATTERY & the DRIPPING can LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Default CHECK BATTERY & the DRIPPING can LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

YesterdayI attempted to start my vehichle, an Audi 2002A4 3.0. The yellowdripping can (i think it means check oil) and the red battery light were both on.It was VERYhardto steer left or right. I stopped buy Autozone and they checked my battery & oil.They advised that the battery & oil levelwere fine. Then he checked (ran a voltomer test) my alternator. Advised thatthe voltometer read 12.0 shld read 13.0. He advised that I needed an alternator. Help!!!!!!!! Would the alternator affect the steering? The dealership quoted $587 for part & $450 for labor......ouch. I called a few more places & they all seem to be able todo the same job for about $700. Only one garage asked me how did I know I needed an alternator.....GOOD Question. Has any one else experienced this problem? All replies would be appreciated.

Thanks,

A Damsel nDistress

Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: CHECK BATTERY & the DRIPPING can LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I CAN tell you that the driping-can light ISN'T your oil... And, if you take about $2.49-ish worth of windshield-washer fluid and pour it in the correct receptacle, under your hood, that dripping-can light WILL go away

Or, $0.0000000007/water. Either way, it only cares that the voulmn is low, so, you could prolly fill it with oil, if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it...

Old 11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

lmao[sm=lol.gif]. Thanks.

I have another question.......I read thruother post & it seems as thoughvag-com &/obd2 scannerscome in handy. I called Auto Zone and they have an obd2 scanner available. Would this devicehelpnarrow down possible reasons for the red battery light to be on? Or shld Igo to a garage to havea diagnostic ran?

Thanks Again!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Ok....I had my audi looked @. The problem seems to be related to the tensioner pulley.The belt was broken. This explains the difficulty I had steering (I guess). Hoped toseek resolution by eob tomorrow.

Thnx

Old 11-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Administrator

actually, the VAG should have led you directkly to the problem area. And, I do believe that the lack of a serpentine belt would both give you dead-steering and erratic voltage readings.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

Both the alterntor and the power stering pump are driven by the same belt so if its broken it would cause both not to function causing the battery light and no power steering.
As for the yellow dripping oil can light. That is for your oil level. If your oil level is correct, youll probably have a bad oil level sensor, or some broken wires to the sensor.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks.

No update yet.Perthe mechanic, work on the audi will resume tomorrow.Question.....replacing the tensioner pulley.....is this fairly easy or should I have gone to the dealership.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear

Its a pretty easy job. Any skilled mechanic should be able to do it.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Again!

I was a liitle worried.....

I saw lots of screws!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear

Did he have the front end of the car off?

Quick Reply: CHECK BATTERY & the DRIPPING can LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!