General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant leak caused by overtightened Oil filter??? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant leak caused by overtightened Oil filter??? Please Help

[:@]Hi,
I need help! I have an 04 3.0 quattro a4. I took the car to(please don't be mad) Midas to have the oil changed. The day after I had a coolant leak, and Midas looked at it and told me that it was a coolant hose that was rubbing up againsed the a/c compressor and it is damaged, burt they did not cause the issue. Now my last oil change was in January by Audi, and I had NO leaks until after Midas changed the oil. I dropped the car off at Audi and they are telling me that whoever changed the oil, overtighted and the wholefilter housing was twisted and caused the hose to split. Now I am stuck, because Midas said they didn't do it, but audi is saying midas did. SO, IS THIS POSSIBLE TO HAPPEN AS OD OVERTIGHTENING OF THE OIL FILTER???? Thanks so much!!!! I need Midas to pay for this if they caused it, its gonna be $260!! Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Default RE: Coolant leak caused by overtightened Oil filter??? Please Help

you can over tighten the filter causing it to turn the housing and damage the pipes but proving it will be another issue, what evidence does Audi have to say they think the others did it? and do you have a receipt for the work from the other guys? all will help if your going to make a claim

Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

I only get my car serviced at Audi but I figured I wanted to get my oil changed and not pay the $79 that audi was going to charge me. So audi has all the records of maint. and said that they would have noticed the issue back in January. The dealor saiys it happens more that a few times when the car is taken to mechanics other than Audi. I'm stuck, and yes I do have the receipts

Old 07-14-2008, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

Although it may cost another diagnosing fee, its probably worth getting a second opinion, third if you count Midas' opinion.This way, you will be able totell who is lying, and you might find a good mechanic that will be honest to you, and youwont have to pay theHIGHER!!! dealer prices.Good Luck!