General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CVT B6 Audi A4 1.8T 2003 model

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM
1st Gear
Default CVT B6 Audi A4 1.8T 2003 model

I purchased an audi a4 B6 model approximately one year ago and all I have had so far is endless problems. These are far too many to mention. The main problems have been a blown turbo, and the cvt gearbox. Secondary problems have been the poor service at Audi service garages in South Africa (specifically in Pretoria and Johannesburg). I have readmany posts about the CVT gearbox, and what astonished me was the recent one about this gearbox where it was stated that if you drive carefully (as if on egg shells) and if you service the gearbox very regularly (more than you would need to in any other vehicle) and if you willing to spend lots of money on just your gearbox every 20 000 to 40 000kms then you should not worry about owning a vehicle with a CVT gearbox. Once I read that I knew for sure that my vehicle is indeed a gem and that I should pour my life savings, pension fund and investment capital into it. This is obviuosly the most obsurd reasoning for owning a CVT vehicle that I have ever heard. At the end of the day, the truth is Audi made a huge blunder with the B6 audi cvt gearboxes and are not willing to take that responsbility. Other motor vehicle manufacturers such as Toyota or Honda readilly admit when manufacture faults are observed (which is very rare with these vehicles), and they recall the identified vehicles for inspection and repair). So I put this to you, are you willing to buy vehicles from a manufacturer that clearly does not care that the majority of CVT owners out there in the world are driving unreliable and troublesome vehicles.......or would you want to own a vehicle that has the full backing of its manufacturer? I for one will not support Audi any longer. Everyone can see the posts about this topic and make up their own minds, all I see is sad, dissapointed owners, and no repsonse from audi themselves (not even an apology). When I purchased my Audi I was a proud and happy owner (about to stick my loyalty to the brand) a few weeks later I began experiencing endless problems, this is definiteky not a "brand" for me. I am now sitting with a vehicle that I cannot drive (until I spend thousands to repair it) and a problem that seems to be something that will persist over time. I wish other CVT and Audi owners the best of luck and empathize with those who have similar problems if not worse. Good luck!