General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cylinder 5 misfire 2004 audi a6 3.0 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:20 PM
1st Gear
Default cylinder 5 misfire 2004 audi a6 3.0 HELP

i just bought this a6 with 130k on it. sold my sportbike for it, is nice and comfortable, except this damn misfire.

p0305
p0050
p0030
p0706

heres the background on it
its always at idle and low rpms
if i hit the gas slowly itll misfire bad but if i step on it to go above 2k rpms, it snaps out of it fast and smooths almost completely.

the idle is so jumpy and shaky. it bounces about 100 rpms now i unplugged the maf ...smooths out almost completely. and idles perfectly. bought a brand new maf, ran it for a week. still a problem. but now.. a month later and 5k miles later when i unplug it still runs crappy with or without. but fuel economy is so much better with it unplugged
occasionally ill get a moment when its not misfiring at all but rarely
heres a vid

i did a compression test 180 across the bank
swapped ALL coils
swapped and cleaned ALL injectors
unplugged the injector for 5, makes it run worse
valves are all clean except the middle intake which is coated in sulfer and carbon

NO SMOKE FROM EXHAUST. except a little white when sitting at a light in cold temps i think the maf being unplugged does it.

im 18 working a crappy job, broke all the time so i cant afford to take it to audi. and any fuel/air mixture problem ALL cylinders would miss.
cam lobes looked good and no scarring or imperfections
no coolant in cylinder over night
no overheating
the pressure control valve diaphragm is kinda crappy but the engine doesnt bog ANYMORE after cleaning the valve when oil cap is removed. but the diaphragm is torn a little.. and dont laugh.. i put some rtv sealant to fix the cracks and made the engine stop bogging. i cleaned the throttle body.. wasnt that bad. leads to the adaption .. no i havent done it but would it cause a single cylinder misfire?
now what if its the computer?
i do have a SOAKED carpet and mat in the drivers side rear floor board and theres a tiny up by where your left foot sits below the hood cable and water runs down that plastic piece.

wires look great no frays or crimps and computer looked great and all wires as well. no oil leaking from valve cover either.
but whenever it does misfire ill usually hear what sounds like compressed air being pushed out of the engine with rhythm and speeds up when i hit gas until it disappears completely valve?? but the compression test was great.
i run full synthetic btw any help? :/

update.. found a way to make the misfire 95% disappear ... i poured a little bit of seafoam cleaner in the oil cap and it almost immediately smoothed out.

Last edited by mattcheek1995; 02-09-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM
1st Gear