General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine mount broke while driving. Only being held in with two bolts. Safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Engine mount broke while driving. Only being held in with two bolts. Safe to drive?

Model: 2008 A3 2.0T FSI gas engine.
So back in December, I was driving and the engine mount on the timing belt side broke while driving. When the mount was replaced, the mechanic said that one of the holes that holds one of the bolts broke completely. So this bolt is welded in the spot and the other two were able to be put it and are held in with "lock tight" With all this in mind, is the car still safe to drive? Is there a possibly the mount could break again? Prior to it breaking the first time, I heard a type of thudding/thumping noise (I can't remember exactly) when I shifted from 1st to 2nd to third. It wasn't extremely loud but noticeable if you had the radio and fans off. I swear I hear it now sometimes....

Old 03-22-2016, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

The engine will not fall out. However, it is flopping around when you start, stop, and shift. You need to get it replaced as soon as you can. Be a little easy on the starts and shifts and it should be ok.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, I'm trying to be as careful as I can. I mean, sometimes the car starts and feels normal when driving but other times, it seems like its shaking around too much, but I might be just overthinking. I also have a CEL on throwing codes about the MAF so maybe its just not running right cause of that and feels like the engine is moving around too much? I am planning on uploading a video of starting the car and driving/shifting from start to 1st and 2nd for second opinions.