General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine remap for a newby

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default engine remap for a newby

hi all im new here i just posted on the newby threads introducing myself.

i have an audi a4 b5 1.8t (150bhp) model with a few simple mods.

the question im asking is... does any1 know a reputable engine remaping service within 60 miles of newcastle. i have checked on alot of remapping websites and made alot of phone calls to these people but alot of ppl seem to know that you have to swap the ecu file but actually dont know anything about what their files do to my car.

like on my model of the a4 b5 my engine throttle is fly-by-wire and only a couple of ppl i have talked to have actually asked about it and then went on to explain a bit more about it.

iv asked questions about what type of boost increase in the turbo am i looking at.
some said their files dont alter the boost pressure of the turbo while others are saying oh you'll get about an extra 5psi yet not knowing my car is standardly set at 8psi.

it seems any 1 with any computer knowhow and the right software can do this to my car and are advertising that they are the best in what they do whith 1000s of years experiance doing this etc etc etc but when asked more specific points about their programmes they dont seem to have a clue

now im getting sick of phoning these ppl and finding out price of remap, location, what if im not happy with the remap, what does the remap do specifically etc etc etc

so please can i ask you guys to help me out with a place you's have taken your cars to. and the results whether to avoid or reccommend.

thanks all

regards gazza