General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Explain the Audi Quattro!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Explain the Audi Quattro!

OK, I'm new to this AWD type systems on the market today. Everybody seems to have one for the public (AWD). Some of my reading say different systems are based on FWD frame, others say RWD frame, which is better? So can you guys explain it to me like a 10 year old what makes the Audi Quattro system any better than what other manufactures have to offer. Please any and all comments will help and also your driving knowledge behind the wheel in all types of condition.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

The Quattro System of AWD is much different than most other manufacturers. Most of the Quattros system is mechanical and reacts very quickly when its needed. Maybe take a look at this site and you can see the hardware that makes a Quattro so different. Others don't want to put this kind of money into their AWD Systems. I think the Hummer Uses similar
mechanical pieces to make theirs work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

Good Luck...

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Redrum1
The Quattro System of AWD is much different than most other manufacturers. Most of the Quattros system is mechanical and reacts very quickly when its needed. Maybe take a look at this site and you can see the hardware that makes a Quattro so different. Others don't want to put this kind of money into their AWD Systems. I think the Hummer Uses similar
mechanical pieces to make theirs work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

Good Luck...
"Torsen" is in many of the various Audi quattro models, notably excluding the A3 & S3 and TT (which have transverse-mounted engines and use Haldex Traction 4WD systems).