General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fender rolling? How to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Fender rolling? How to?

This was brought on by brrman's story about how he was able to DIY rolling his fenders with a rolling pin and a hairdryer. How the hell did you do that?!? [&:] Did you encounter any problems along the way? How did you avoid problems (like screwin up the paint)? Please endulge us.

If anyone has an opinion on this process or has done it themselves, a play-by-play would be nice. Please explain the process. I know a lot of people would be interested to read the details.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Fender rolling? How to?

Here's one article I cam across:

1. Remove the wheel. Remove the screw fastening the liner to the fender flange. The area to be rolled is between the flange reduction towards the front to just behind the liner fastener tab.

2. Score the paint just inside the lip (out of view) so the paint cracks along that line.

3. Heat the lip with a suitable high heat source. We used a paint remover heater. Heat to just too hot to touch, but no hotter.

4. Get a "dolly", a stainless steel body work pounder available at Auto Zone for about $10. Prepare a piece of wood wrapped in cloth to hold the other side.

5. Holding the outside with the cloth wrapped wood pound the lip up evenly back and forth with the dolly. Do not hit the dolly with a hammer. It is heavy enough to do the job. The tab area is the toughest. Periodically heat up the lip.

6. Cut the liner as required to keep it up and out of the way. If you don't like the gap left by the cut liner you can easily patch it later.

7. Trim off any peeled paint with a knife; any peeled paint should be inside the lip, out of sight, because of the score you made.

8. Put two coats of touch up paint on the lip, out of sight.

You are done. It should take about an hour per fender.
Not sure I like the procedure though.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:38 PM
3rd Gear

I emailed the tech writer of the above article. He replied with this:

trust me...it's smooth. you can only roll a small section at a time. this is by far the best way to roll IMO. Jimmy@Rojo uses this method at his shop.
Well, I know Jimmy at Rojo and I know his S4. It is awesome and the fenders look amazing. So I guess my skepticism was a bit "over-paranoia". After getting the reply, I may do this myself.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear

brrman is definitely the one to ask. I'm sure there are many others here that have done this, but brrman sent me some close ups of the job he did and he must know what he's doing because it looked great. What size wheels do you have on?

Old 07-30-2004, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

We'll see. I'm gonna fit the wheels on there first then decide if it's really necessary. Knowing me though, I have a feeling it will be. I'm both excited that it is doable and nervous at the same time about doing it.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

If anyone has any pics of work they have done themselves, PLEASE post them. I'm a very visual kind of learner and if I have an end picture in my head, it'll be a lot easier to complete the task.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:55 AM
1st Gear

Yo Imolas4, could you send me a link to that original article? Or just post it here?

Old 08-05-2004, 11:22 AM
2nd Gear

if you look around you can rent a fender roller for $50 or less + a refundable deposit . with this tool it takes a short amount of time to do a good job even for the inexperianced.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Awesome! Do you know someone who has done that? Do you know any good places I should start? Or should I just search he local shops?

Old 08-06-2004, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: norcaltrojan

Yo Imolas4, could you send me a link to that original article? Or just post it here?
Sorry, I don't have the link anymore. I Cut & Pasted the quote a while ago; it's word for word.

Quick Reply: Fender rolling? How to?