General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First audi. Misfire now no start. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:17 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation First audi. Misfire now no start. need advice

Hello all, My name is Dan and I need some help, I recently purchased a 99 a6 2.8 quattro and im having some issues. When i first got the car I knew it would need some work, the cel light was on, it has a leaking muffler, and i have no history on what services have been done.
I have pulled and cleared the codes a couple of times and this is what I got, p0300 p0301 p0303 p0411 p0422 and p1300 (the p0411 and p0422 dont pop as often). I did get a cam or crank position sensor once but i dont remember which one.
It does have a leaking muffler on the pass side which is the same side as the misfire, not sure if that is a cause or a result of the issues. The misfire generally happens around 1700-2100 rpm semi, frequently at idle and 2800rpm, and nearly always under hard acceleration.
I was going to start my repairs on the cheaper end as i am living pay check to pay check. Plugs, coil packs, maf and possibly cam and crank sensors, the muffler and possibly cat on passenger side. If that didnt resolve things i was going to get a timing belt kit with water pump and probably head gaskets while i had it all apart.
BUT, now things have changed a little, I went to start my car to go to work yesterday morning and it wouldnt start. She cranked fine but it was like there was no fuel igniting. I tried starting it a couple times but it was -5F so i went back inside fairly quick. I tried again this morning but the battery voltage dropped down to around 8 right away. I hooked up some jumper cables but it still didnt seem to get enough juice.
I am going to be getting a new battery asap to see if that helps, but i was really wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to do from there? I do have a code reader that can do quite a bit more than just pull codes if that helps?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!