General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Flushing out the radiator/heater core??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Flushing out the radiator/heater core??

I have had an issue with little to no heat and a malfunctioning temp gauge. I replaced my CTS the other day and that helped the gauge to at least reach the middle sometimes. Still fluctuates though, and no heat. I am going to try and flush the heater core tonight. Is it the 2 metal lines by the battery going towards the dash? What is the easiest way to do this? Also, will i be able to run on straight water until i get the VW dealer tomorrow for g12?
Thanks!
01 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t 5spd

Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Have you removed or replaced the thermostat?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audi-up
Have you removed or replaced the thermostat?
No I thought the temp gauge would not move at all if it was the thermostat. Mine is going halfway up to operating temp an slowly back down sometimes. Where is the thermostat located?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by DiscoJaker
No I thought the temp gauge would not move at all if it was the thermostat. Mine is going halfway up to operating temp an slowly back down sometimes. Where is the thermostat located?

thermostat on audi is not an easy replacement as you would think...

feel the lines when its running... heater core lines should be very hot going in and just hot / warm coming out.

you prolly have air in your system and need to bleed it out

Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 AM
1st Gear

Bleeding air out sounds like a great place to start. A sticky thermostat could give you fluctuating and abnormal temp readings as well. You can test the thermostat on your stove top with a pan of heated water, although if it is really hard to get at bleeding air seems good.
Of course it could be a bad gauge, wiring, etc.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Where are the heater core lines located? And how would I go about bleeding the lines? This car is so confusing to work on.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 PM
4th Gear

well on teh 1.8t its pretty easy to replace the t-stat. theres a DIY on audidiy.com i think or just google it. anyways there 2 ways to flush the system. 1 is the fastest and easiest but messiest. get under the car and just pull the lower radiator hose, the other is the proper way, either remove the lower grilles or the bumper all together. theres a red little screw, unscrew it and let it drain out that way, after that run some water through the system and heat the car up to temp than flush again. do this 2 or 3 times and then refill with G12 and distilled water (i think you can use regular water but audi says it causes scaling in teh radiator). hopefully it just needs a flush i know guys whose have flushed a bunch of crap out of the raditor and heater core. also you dont need to bleed the syste, the expansion tank is the highest point in the system so just let leave teh cap off and top off as teh car sucks int eh coolant. hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:57 PM

fyi the 2 metal lines going into the firewall are a/c lines, so don't disconnect them or anything unless you reclaim it first

Old 11-16-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ahmartin1
fyi the 2 metal lines going into the firewall are a/c lines, so don't disconnect them or anything unless you reclaim it first
heater core lines are metal too...

heater lines are in the middle, a/c lines are on the left side if your standing in front of the engine.