General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Frustrated with my A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Default Frustrated with my A4

Hey everyone... so lately i've done alot of maintance on my 2003 A4 1.8t, mostly prevenative, but I've have to change 2 coils since Jan. Now today as i'm about to leave for dallas (a 3 hr drive) at 4 in the morning ANOTHER flippin' coil goes out! I'm not sure if its the same one I changed out a few weeks ago or not, won't find out until after I get to dallas. but either way, can anyone give me an insight on why this keeps happening? should i just change the two coils out that i haven't changed yet. its like clockwork, the 5th or 6 of each month since jan a coil has went out! any advice would be great.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 AM
2nd Gear

dont know what to tell you.. when i ran my own shop a few years back we used to get a lot of ford trucks with the 5.4 triton v-8... one coil would go bad and wed suggest changing them all because it would never fail, 2 weeks later a customer would come back pissed that his check engine light was on and it was driving exactly the same.. but it was a different coil that had failed.. try to explain that to a customer..

when i worked at nissan , maximas would come in with a code for primary ignition failure and wed suggest the same thing..you need to change ALL 6 coils... yeah you could just change the coil on the misfire for the one cylinder but it was a sure thing youd be back AND upset because the same thing was happening with your car as before we made the initial repair..

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

Hey, the beautiful thing about AUDI and German cars in general is that once things start to go bad it continues!! My advice is to change ALL coils and the same time. My second piece of advice, find out your trade in value and get a new car. I've been having problems for two years now - about every 4-5 months. I am looking Japanese now. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
1st Gear
Default love 4 Audis

Well iv been dealing with an vary expensive misfire and the day i get it fixed i get a fuel problem and its by far not any cheaper and i had to take to Audi so labor and diagnostics isn't cheap plus I'm putting the part in myself but its still costing me an arm and a leg but I'm not about to abandon Audi i love my car and no jap or Swedish and defiantly no American car is going to do for me what my car can a4 4 life man wont drive nothin else

Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Trust me, I thought I was going to be an A4 guy for life too. I love my car and I love how it looks and especially at night when everything in the cabin lights up and the power of the car BUT when begin to not trust your car and you have this twinge of nerves when you go long distances (over 1 or 1.5 hours ) it is time to reconsider. I wish you all the very best with your car.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Coils have moisture problems... Audi still hasn't been able to really resolve the issue... Cause i still see coils going bad all the way up to 2006 models.

It would be wise to replace the remaining two...

Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Default me too

I, too, just changed out my 2nd engine coil in 2 months. I am terrified that it is going to happen again. I had to argue with the Warranty company (bought the extended 100K one) who didn't want to cover it because "they don't normally break". HELLLOOOOO...that is why one buys a WARRANTY! They didn't pay for the first one that went bad, but they paid for this next one. They should have just paid for all 4, but instead they are going to have to pay for it over and over again until they agree to replace all 4 at the same time.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear

Just curious. I need to replace my coils, I do plan to replace all four, because that is the best way to maintain your engine. Since you all have replaced your coils, how much did you pay and where did you buy them. I have a 1997 1.8T A4, what do you have? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 AM
4th Gear

Have the codes read to see which cylinder is bad.
I'm with Greco29 on going Japanese.
I had 160K mi. on mine. The only reason I kept it
that long is Sergey did the repairs at reasonable prices.
www.edge-motors.com