General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Gas

I am an owner of a 1995 audi S6 it has a 5cyl 2.2l turbo, i was traveling down the highway today, it is a trip i take all the time but this time i knoticed i used ALOT more gas than i ushually do.......what does this mean and what can i do.. thanx
Richard

Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Gas

it could be a number fo things, you could need a tune up, a sensor could have failed, clogged fuel filter. tell us of anything else that seems out of wack for example a temp gauge that keeps on cold or variates could mean the ECT went out making the car use more fuel. also when did you last change the air filter. BTW before anyone says run a vag for codes remember hes OBD1.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Alright well that gives me some ideas to start with so thank you and i will keep you posted on anything else i knotice that is happening

Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Nothing else seems like it is out of wack except i dont think i am getting as much boost out of my turbo could my turbo be going and would that hav anything to do with it????

Old 07-05-2007, 02:46 AM
4th Gear

that could possibly it since turbos get more power with less gas. if you have a turbo problem it could be very muich it. but first make sure the turbo is the problem also how much MPGs did you get before and how much are you getting now.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Hey i am thinking it is the turbo cause i am not getting alot or maybe no boost out of it, so that being the case.....what kind of turbo is in the 1995 audi S6 5Cyl 2.2l, like i said i am cluless when it comes to this stuff and I thank you for all your help so far
thanx again
Richard

Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 PM
SoCal Crew Member

what do you really think could be wrong with the turbo? is it overheating? smoking? making noise? .... i think if it is actually turbo related it could possible be the DV. how many miles on the car and have you ever replaced the DV before?

but to be honest i don't think your prob. has anything to do with the turbo system... i am leaning towards a MAF sensor..... or something along those lines that when it sees a problem it starts to make the car go into a limp mode.....
no codes???

Old 07-06-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Yes the turbo does smoke quite a bit and there are alot of miles on the car and i just bought the car out of the US so i am not even shure what has been replaces on the car i dont know that i am not getting Near as much boost out of that turbo and my gas milage is horrible, so any tips or hints you hav will be usefull, remember to be specific with me i dont know a heck of alot about cars so thanx
Richard

Old 07-06-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Ok
i hav decided that i am going to park this car and put some money under the hood!!! so if anywon has ANY ideas for me then let me know what would be good investments!!!!!!
it is a 1995 Audi S6 5Cyl 2.2 l turbo it does hav a few miles on it (135000) so even let me know if you hink it would even be worth it......................let me know!!!!!!
thanx for your help
Richard

Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: JETSPEED333

what do you really think could be wrong with the turbo? is it overheating? smoking? making noise? .... i think if it is actually turbo related it could possible be the DV. how many miles on the car and have you ever replaced the DV before?

but to be honest i don't think your prob. has anything to do with the turbo system... i am leaning towards a MAF sensor..... or something along those lines that when it sees a problem it starts to make the car go into a limp mode.....
no codes???
Hes OBD1 remember no OBD2 before 1996. honestly without a mechanic who knows audis being there to actually look at it we cant be sure of anything. also most of us are used to OBD2 where if we have a problem we can pull a code. best thing i can suggest it try this since its the cheapest route. if you have a MAF sensor ( the sensor between the air filter box and the intake manifold) pull it out and carefully clean it with MAF cleaner or alcohol, run some seafoam through the gas tank through the combustion chamber and the crankcase, change oil within a couple of hundred miles or right when your done with the seafoam. pull and change the plugs. this is basically an easy DIY tune up. if it still dosent look good take off the turbo and look it over to make sure it dosent have play and in need of a rebuild. if all else fails i hate to tell ya mate but you need to get a mechanic just neglect the probelm until the car dies or if you really want give me the car and ill give my A4 Quattro. really i will take and S6 avant so dont hesitate to offer a trade. but do try this stuff first.