General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

glove compartment wont open

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default glove compartment wont open

When pulling my glove compartment latch it goes all the way over but doesn't open the glove box door.What & how do i get it open?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: glove compartment wont open

What type is your car?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear

Pull the side cover for the dash and you can manually relese the door depending on your vehicle. You should see the latch sticking out the side. It looks kinda like the part that sticks out the side of a door on your house. Push it in and the door should open.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

thanks mate,did manage to open it manualy as u described,maybe if u came across this problem before u can advice me how to fix it? hope its not replace the glove door job

Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
3rd Gear

Usually you have to replace the door. The entire operating mechanism for the latch is plastic, and you probably have something broken in the panel.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Angry HEADS UP: Glove Compartment Defect w/Audi Service Bulletin!

Guys:

Audi has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on this problem which states the glove compartment cover brake element is FAULTY! It's TSB 68 08 10 2012801/3, and it states it applies to the following vehicles:

- A3s (2005-2006)
- A4s (2002-2006)
- A4 Cabriolets (2003-2006)
- A8s (2003-2006)

I can't post the Copyrighted TSB. However, I had ALREADY deduced on my own that the faulty glove compartment door damper was causing me to pull open the door every time and was possibly damaging the door hinges.

If your glove compartment door isn't opening anymore or requires you to pull it open by hand, bring it to your Audi dealer before you reach 12 months/12,000 miles on your vehicle. State you are having trouble getting the door to open and have to pull on it excessively, and request warrantee service. After 12/12,000, they will NOT fix it, because it's considered "interior trim"...ridiculous, I know, that Audi thinks it's okay their glove compartments can fall off after 12 months at customer expense.

One has to buy a new glove compartment and/or glove compartment door to repair this because the hinges are integrated with the part. I'm afraid to even ASK what they charge for a new glove compartment door or the entire compartment!

So much for high-quality German engineering...lol. What galls me about this is that it's been a KNOWN faulty issue for a while, and they didn't send out any notices to any Audi owners who might've had the problem and not realized it wasn't a "feature"...and who could've fixed it before the "interior trim" warrantee expired.

If you develop this problem with your glove compartment door and don't get it fixed before 12 months/12,000 miles then you're screwed! I'm not sure if there's a way to lubricate the faulty brake/damper element to prevent the excessive slowness...

By the way, here's a link to the post from a guy who says he found replacement door brakes and fixed this for an earlier model Audi...not sure which cars this would work for, or what the part numbers would be for the new, improved dampers Audi is supposedly using now:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/967087.phtml

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by astrobill; 02-17-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM

"I'm afraid to even ASK what they charge for a new glove compartment door or the entire compartment!"

And rightly so! The hinge broke on the right side of mine. Thankfully the latch still operates so by bracing the right side with my hand I can still open and close it.

My local dealer quoted me... $475. I laughed at him and continued to laugh as I walked out the door. Next stop: a local junkyard if I'm lucky enough to find one--intact.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Angry Audi 2005 convertible glove compartement stuck

I just had the same thing happen and it is $660+tax

This is not just. I will fight it.

Originally Posted by astrobill
Guys:

Audi has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on this problem which states the glove compartment cover brake element is FAULTY! It's TSB 68 08 10 2012801/3, and it states it applies to the following vehicles:

- A3s (2005-2006)
- A4s (2002-2006)
- A4 Cabriolets (2003-2006)
- A8s (2003-2006)

I can't post the Copyrighted TSB. However, I had ALREADY deduced on my own that the faulty glove compartment door damper was causing me to pull open the door every time and was possibly damaging the door hinges.

If your glove compartment door isn't opening anymore or requires you to pull it open by hand, bring it to your Audi dealer before you reach 12 months/12,000 miles on your vehicle. State you are having trouble getting the door to open and have to pull on it excessively, and request warrantee service. After 12/12,000, they will NOT fix it, because it's considered "interior trim"...ridiculous, I know, that Audi thinks it's okay their glove compartments can fall off after 12 months at customer expense.

One has to buy a new glove compartment and/or glove compartment door to repair this because the hinges are integrated with the part. I'm afraid to even ASK what they charge for a new glove compartment door or the entire compartment!

So much for high-quality German engineering...lol. What galls me about this is that it's been a KNOWN faulty issue for a while, and they didn't send out any notices to any Audi owners who might've had the problem and not realized it wasn't a "feature"...and who could've fixed it before the "interior trim" warrantee expired.

If you develop this problem with your glove compartment door and don't get it fixed before 12 months/12,000 miles then you're screwed! I'm not sure if there's a way to lubricate the faulty brake/damper element to prevent the excessive slowness...

By the way, here's a link to the post from a guy who says he found replacement door brakes and fixed this for an earlier model Audi...not sure which cars this would work for, or what the part numbers would be for the new, improved dampers Audi is supposedly using now:

Update on fixing the Glove Box door brake - AudiWorld Forums

Regards,
Bill