General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Have Questions NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Default Have Questions NEED HELP

Hey all so i was thinking about putting a new motor on my a4 its a 1997 1.8t ATM has a greddy potato turbo .86 dual ball barring
anyways i was thinking about parting out some of the old motor parts and maybe tranny too because i want to put a smallblock in it so my main questions are
1. Has anyone here auctually put a smallblock in an A4?
2. Anyone have suggestions or have any idea of what the cost would be
3. atm its a 5 sp manual w/ a stage 3 clutch some friends of mine told me i might want to switch to auto because it could handle the tourqe better? not quite sure about that
4. what are your guy's opinions on this idea? wack or not?

anyone have any other questions about the car im putting it in or comments just post em here if anyone could help me 1on1 send me a add on MSN or AIM

Thanks, Scott

Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Have Questions NEED HELP

I cant? I mean why? Why would you do this?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 PM

hah i thought it would be a good idea BTW im 16 im on a budget here lol i dont have much money...... and a smallblock can pack alot more HP and tourqe then the little v4 in there at the moment

Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior Administrator

FTR, it's an I-4, not a V-4. And, I'm with rb... WHY?!?!?!

If all you want is raw torque you shudda bought a Ferd, or a Chebby, in the 1st place.

The swap you're suggesting would be cost prohibitve ESPECIALLY on a 16y/o's budget, unless your 'Rents are bankrolling the whole thing, in which case, WHY stop at a S/B? Get a Callaway TT, or a Rousch S/C motor and pack some REAL torque in there. WHile you're at it, budget in some loot for wings and stickers, a wide-body kit, NEON, and some dubs (preferably spinners). I mean, why not, right? If you're going to be a Bear, BE A GRIZZLEY!!!

For a S/B you're going to hafta fab EVERYTHING, mod EVERYTHING, re-think EVERYTHING. Just sell the thing outright and go buy a car that came from the factory WITH a small-block! It'll be cheaper, and you'll have not only your required torque, but, $$ left over to pay for a nice trade-school education with, to boot!

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 PM

lol my parents dont pay for Sh*t i used to sell drugs for $ and thats how i got my audi ATM
sorry for my not great "knowledge" about everything on audis lol im new to this whole scene but i bought an audi for a reason the looks the way it drives and the feeling of the whole car i would never buy any other car and im sure lots of people on the forum are the same way you cant beat german engineering anyways i dont have 10000000 $ to buy some new german motor and id like to have a bit more power then i have ATM and something that works a little better with my turbo setup witch i cant seem to get working perfectly with the motor and system atm you guys may go WHY while i think damn thats a good idea but thats just my ideas

Anyways if anyone has some REAL HELP rather then dont it would be greatly appriceated thanks

Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

If you want Tire shredding tork and good handling get a Datsun 70 -78 280z put a nitrous system in it till it explodes then take the 2.8l out, get a JTR kit and put a chev 350/350 transwith vortex headsin it you'll love it,I works 4 me[/align]