General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 PM
1st Gear
Default help

my car has been having a problem starting and the other day i discovered more about the starting problem. first of all..every once in a while when i try to start the car.... it it turns over, wont fire, and smells flooded. i thought it was a security problem but now im not so sure. sometimes when i start it the air does not come on, my blinkers do not work, and my lights to not work (but my brights do). so when this happened i turned the key a little towards me and then all the sudden everything worked...its like the key was stuck? but i dont know what would help fix this. and i dont know if this has anything to do with my starting problem. because when my blinker and air dont work..i can still drive the car. its weird.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: help

It sounds like you may have a failing electrical portion of your ignition switch.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: help

Ignition switch - easy fix. the ignition switch opens the circut that allows power to get to the coils. When the switch fails no power gets to the coils - car cranks but doesnt fire. Its an annoying VW/Audi issue.

You can gain access to the switch by removing the under plastic of the steering column. on the end of the keyway there will be a white plastic end - thats the ignition switch.