General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with a '91 100, please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Default Help with a '91 100, please.

Hi. I don't really know if anyone can help me out here, but it would sweet if you could. I own a '91 Audi. It's the first import I've owned (unfortunately), and I live in Redneckville, so all of the mechanics are only familiar with American-made cars.

The problem: The car won't start.

I'm not super mechanically-inclined, but I know a little bit. It seems to be that it's not getting ignition. The ignition coil is getting power but not sending any to the engine. Now I figure it's a bad coil, but I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on one to find out it's something else. Any ideas?

Old 04-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Default RE: Help with a '91 100, please.

fuel pump would be my first check, also if the spark is bright blue = coil ok

Old 04-15-2006, 01:36 AM

I hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key on (not start), so I'm guessing that's not it. I know just because it's on doesn't mean it's working, but since checking the coil, I'm thinking it's just not getting ignition.
The coil isn't creating a spark at all. I don't know if it's a bad coil, or if there's something wrong with the points. I never though about the points, because I have no idea what that is, but a friend of my mom's, who's a mechanic by trade, told me about it. He looked at it and couldn't figure it out (Redneckville, remember?), so I don't know what to do.
I guess it's not a HUGE concern of mine, because I go to Hawaii for 5 months at a time for work, so I'm not home that often. Of course, when I do come home, I like to have a car that starts.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:45 AM

no points its electronic, to check the coil you need a volt meter or multimeter "set to DC connect one wire to the + on the coil and the other to ground with ignition on it should read 11 volts