General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help! i f-ed up big time

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Default help! i f-ed up big time

My friend and I went to change my oil today but we think we have drained the front diff fluid by accident. It was a grooved pan under the car alittle behind the engine with a hex head drain. How do I put the fluid back in?? I have a 2000 s4 6spd. HELP!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Default RE: help! i f-ed up big time

never put fluid back in an audi, but in the past what ive seen is usually a plug on the side of the diff that you fill until the fluid starts coming out. look for a similar plug on the side of the diff, or see if you can see some sort of fill type aparatus when looking down from the top. sorry i cant be of more help. next time make sure you know what your doing to avoid any type of reoccurance.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:56 PM
HG
1st Gear

I just drained the tranny oil myself. The drain is a 10MM hex and so is the fill plug. The drain plug is located at the bottom of the tranny (you already know). The fill plug is located on the drivers side about 6" inches above the bottom of the tranny next to the drivers side axle (looks exactly like the one you took off). You will need a pump to put new gear oil in (mobil or Audi about 1 5/8 quarts or untill the gear oil starts falling out) this can be bought at any autoparts store. If you have not fixed this yet I will take some pictures today..... Good Luck!!!!

Changing the tranny oil has made a big inprovement on both shifting and performance.....

Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't get the fill plug off even with an air gun it was on so tight, so we ended up putting it back through the drain plug. We hardly lost any gear oil at all. All in all, its running fine.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:26 PM
HG
1st Gear

You guys defied gravity.... I like that.....

Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Senior Administrator

i was thinking the exact same thing... maybe they turned the car upside down[8D]

Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 PM

that makes no sense how it went back up throught the drain plug, your damn good. well i guess if you fill it til it starts to come out then it makes sense how you didnt lose much oil. NEVER take a plug out with air...NEVER. unless you feel like heli-coiling your tranny, then be my guest, but not smart. always break them loose by hand and thread them out manually. what happens is usually galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals of the case and plug, either that or some schmuck already had it out and locktighted it in. stop driving it and fill it correctly to prevent any damage.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

The tube on the pump we had was too small, so we cut the tip of one of the gear oil caps and then attatched it to the end of the tube. We then stuck it up against the drain and it fit perfectly. We then pumped the gear oil in from a reservoir and once it was all out, we both layed under the car and my friend quickly pulled out the tube while I stuck the plug back in. It worked pretty well.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
4th Gear

Use SAE 75W90 synthetic gear oil in the dfferentials.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

I did

Quick Reply: help! i f-ed up big time