General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! Suspension Level Sensor!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Default HELP! Suspension Level Sensor!??

Hello,

I am new to this forum - but would really appreciate some help from the wise and experienced in the world of S3's and elctronic sensors.

I have a 2000 model S3, which has just come up to its 60,000 km service in Sydney Australia.

I had a phone call from the dealer today (as the car went in this morning for service) saying that the car appears to *missing* it's "Suspension Level Sensor" and it will cost $AUD$580 (approx USD$400) to replace it.

Now, I am the 2nd owner of the car, and I have had the car for 2 years. There has been no warning lights from the ECU (which I would have expected if this sensor was missing?).

My understanding of what this sensor does is that it adjusts the level of dip on the xenon head lights. The dealership claims that this sensor is required as it's signals are used in order to control rear braking, and also for the ESP.

My question is - does anyone know what this sensor is used for aside from the lights? as if that is the only issue, I am quite happy with how the lights appear to be working normally.

Also, the dealership has quoted $440 to remove the carbon build up in the throttle body? However, the car idles and performs fine? hmm... maybe I am missing something here? (aside from the level sensor!?!?).

Anyway - would really appreciate any thoughts or input on this!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew, Black 2000 S3 - Sydney, Australia.