General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! Valve Cover Gasket & Cam Tensioner Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Default Help! Valve Cover Gasket & Cam Tensioner Gasket Replacement

I am working on changing out my cam tensioner gasket and i see that people say not to use any sealant on the half moon and steel gasket (other than what is already on the steel gasket). What are some opinions on this? Also is a non-harding blue lube good for the valve cover gasket? Any help would be great!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 AM
2nd Gear

i suggest using a small bead of silicone sealant on the half moon.. correct the metal gasket already has the sealant needed on it.. but id use some on the half moon.. did you take the cams out or did you just loosen the adjuster? if you didnt just make sure you use brake cleaner and get the surfaces super clean.. after brake cleaner use compressed air to make sure that you get all of the old sealant and dirt out of there for the best possible seal... and for the valve covers i used a permatex thats kinda black grey and says that its best for hi temps and oil... just on the corners of the valve cover gaskets.. been about 4 months and no burnt oil smells or leaks...