General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How much can quattro take???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 05:09 PM
1st Gear
Default How much can quattro take???

Hey guys Im new at this forum and I had a few questions that shouldnt be too hard to answer... I hope. lol. I hoping to buy an A4 1.8T Quattro and was wondering how strong the AWD is. I was talking to a buddy of mine that used to work at an Audi dealership and he said that repairs on the Quattro systems are SUPER expensive. I was just curious if this was true of not. Do they really break alot or im I just too worried. Lastly, Is there any way to beaf up the Quattro system where it wouldnt break as much?? Thanks alot guys! -- Cameron

Old 01-27-2007, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: How much can quattro take???

The true Quattro is solid, you will not break it. The Heldex system in the TT's is not as strong.
I doubt you will biuld a 1.8t that will kill the Quattro.

There are some 600+hp S4's out there with no problems.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

ok cool..... well thats really good to know. I really want AWD! Are there any aftermarket parts to beaf up the AWD?

Old 01-27-2007, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: slocal94

ok cool..... well thats really good to know. I really want AWD! Are there any aftermarket parts to beaf up the AWD?
I don't know of any parts to beef up the AWD, other then a clutch, quaife diffs, and a Stasis 4:1 center diff.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Administrator

YEah, what 2k s4 said. Quattro IS expensive to repair, but, unless you just don't take care of it, or you drop in onto a GInormous boulder, or bottom out with FEELING trying to recreate your favorite Dukes episode, I've never heard of the quattro system, itself, burning out. ANYthing can break, if you abuse it... But, I've never heard of the quattro art of our quattro's breaking under normal wear and tear, even with HIGH HP/TQ cars.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:46 AM
4th Gear

Like 2k s4 said the true quattro is pretty strong, i still do hard launches in my 10 year old a4 and it still impresses me and people around me who have never seen an AWD launch.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear

they only thing you might want to be careful about, and it isnt really part of the quattro really, but second gear tends to go out, especially in those 600+ hp drag s4's...

if you cryo treat the second gear, it solves this problem...

second gear really only goes with strict drag s4's tho, ive only seen a4's up to around 350hp on stock inturnals, your not gonna break quattro on 350hp...

granted, if you do the inturnals in the 1.8t engine your potential skyrockets, if you have the time and money to upgrade the inturnals in your engine, you should drop the coin on rebuilding your tranny as well...

you will not be dissapionted with audi... if your looking for an m5 killer, your best bet is a s4, however the 1.8t's can be a blas with a big turbo, or even a ko4.

good luck man, keep askin questions and you will find answers...

Old 01-28-2007, 05:06 AM
1st Gear

wow guys......... that was some great info. Ya my buddy keeps telling me that I cant beat his modded STI. So well see what I can do. Im planning on going big doing everything to hit like 350 HP. Thanks for all your info guys. I was worried about the quatro but looks like I really shouldnt. Wasn't audi like the first to do AWD? Anyways, I just sold my Cobra to buy an audi. I had a kenne bell supercharger 95 cobra with about 450 HP and I sold it to get somthing more refined. I really like the a4 body style alot. Thanks guys for the welcome and Im looking forward to my audi!

Old 01-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Administrator

Make sure you post pics, along teh way, or we'll send a trunk-monkey out to get you!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

hahah.... sure will guys. Im now debating between an A4 or just saving for alittle bit and getting an S4. SO MANY DECISIONS!

Quick Reply: How much can quattro take???