General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I Need New Tyres!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Default I Need New Tyres!!

Spammer - Banned

Old 09-19-2006, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I Need New Tyres!!

Try tirerack.com

they have alot of tires and reviews on them.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Administrator

Hey Mattdiy,

My personal ppreference is FALKEN's. They're an (U)ltra-(H)igh-(P)erformance-(A)ll-(S)eason tire that have wet-weather traction that rivals the top name brands. Grip and roadholding in slush & snow are better than some Winter tires, IMHO. Dry grip, roadholding, braking feel, and overall traction are commensurate with anybody elses UHP tires, from all I've read. My personal experiences tell me they're teh Equal of Michilin, Pirelli, and Goodyrear in dry performance, as those are the only other brands I've driven.

The only caveats are:
When inflated to Auto-manufacturer recommended preassures they tend to feel squirrely. Like they wanna dance to music you can't quite hear. I've run Falkens almost exclusively (they're not always easy to find) for teh last 8 years, on three different cars, and I can suggest that running them 4-8lbs higher (depending on YOUR vehicle and YOUR feel for how they feel) than your cars' recommended PSI will remove teh squiggly feeling, give you a minor increase in gas-mileage and, as long as you rotate them every 5000-6000 miles, hold up as long as any other UHP tire. Maybe longer. PLUS, they tend to run 15-20% LESS than the name brands as well as the 2nd-tier brands price.

***actual mileage may vary, depending on how you drive and where you drive. VAT not included. the views of this particular maroon are not necessairly those of AF, it's owners, or anybody else on the planet!

Old 09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: beefski

Try tirerack.com

they have alot of tires and reviews on them.
Matt might not be from "God-Bless-the USA!!!" He spelt "tires" funny[8D]

Old 09-21-2006, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

for comfort - Michelins, but they tend to run VERY expensive.
I'd go for Kuhmos - reviews are great and some of my friends used them and have had great experiences.
Another thing, my friends does this with his 17's - he bought a set of 17 (I think they were pirellis) at Sears and bought the Protection Policy (some kind of road hazard warranty they offer) - this was about 100k miles ago and to date he's been paying ONLY the deductible for getting new tires. Get it? Cheap way to keep your tires new for a very very long time, and it helps a lot when your tires run on the expensive/low profile side ))

all the best