General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition switch recall - killed starter motor. Corporate coverup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Default Ignition switch recall - killed starter motor. Corporate coverup?

Audi corporate scam? Cheap iginition switch design that tends tofail -> recall.

Unfortunately, my switch failed before I could respond to recall notice and get the car in the shop. Failure manifested itself as ignition remaining in Start position, keeping starter motor engaged while engine was running (lots of noise), leading to burned out starter. Towed '97 A4 to Audi, told them starter went with switch. They replaced the switch, then tried to charge me $850 for a new starter motor. Said "nothing was mechanically wrong with switch" according to technician, so I was to pay for starter. I retrieved car for starter replacement elsewhere ($450). They tried to charge me $100 for diagnosing the starter was bad even though I told them that it was bad when I took it in. I retrieved the old switch and compared to a new one. It is OBVIOUS that the switch is bad and caused the problem. Here is how I could tell:

1. put a screwdriver a short way into a new (uninstalled) switch and turn to full OFF position
2. rotate to start position
3. release pressure and allow spring to return it to ON position. I heard a clear click associated with disengagement of the starter contacts

For my defective switch, there was no foreful return to the ON position and no clear sounds associated with disengagement of the starter circuit. Clearly mechanically shot.

So the question is, how is such an obvious indication of faulty switch not equally apparent to an Audi mechanic? Couldthere be aCorporate policy (written or unwritten) in place to limit exposure to replacement costs for a large potential number of affected starter motors? How big of a problem is this? Anyone else faced this issue with similar results?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Ignition switch recall - killed starter motor. Corporate coverup?

The tech knew the starter went bad because of the switch (not common failure item) he is obligated to by the dealer to not replace parts as subsequent damage because that would put liability on himself and audi would back flag him for replacing the starter. AKA the tech would end up paying for your starter if audi of north america found out.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:51 PM

Perhaps a misunderstanding. The switch that caused the failure was the original switch, not one that had been replaced. So, the original switch (the one that is the subject of the recall) was the one that failed and caused the starter motor to fail, so no fault should be placed on the technician for that. The issue is that the lie that there was no problem with the original item. Word from the independent repair person is that this is a common issue (switch failure followed by starter motor burnout) that Audi seems to avoid responsibility for. I am just attempting to assemble some opinions on if this is potentially true or not.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Site Moderator

I didn't miss-understand you i meant if a technician replaces something at pretty much the same time an original part is replaced or if there is a recall out for it (hint hint) audi gets suspecious of a starter failure when there is a ignition switch recall present for the car and the tech replaces it even if it were a factory part. Un-less AUDI gives authority to replace such an item then the tech assumes responsiblity, so the tech in my mind was covering his own ***.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:05 PM

OK. I did go through Audi "customer advocacy" and the clincher is they defaulted to the "opinion of the dealer" as to whether or not the switch was "defective". The Service Manager statedthere was no definitive way of telling that the switch was bad. That seemed and outright lie in that it was obvious to me, the non-trained technician. Hence my conspiracy theory.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Site Moderator

Well you can try to fight the good fight and get it covered but your fighting a giant.
I would just throw ina new starter and forget about it, water under the bridge ya know, its not worth the headache in my opinion.