General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key -where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Default Key -where to buy?

The search on whole forum for "key" come with no results.
I just bought 2001 A4 with single key and would like to buy a spare one.
The only dealer in my county (in Oakland CA) closed and I wonder where I can order key on line?
Also need radio code. Any suggestions, or actual experience?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

It truley is amazing. You would be hard pressed to find one person that recieved two keys with thier used car. Where do they go? They can not be reprogramed, so do not buy a used one. Also stay away from the aftermarket junk. I tried that route too. $70in the toilet, I sent back the key too- never heard from them again.

You must purchase them from Audi they will order it precut and then program it for your car. It costs 317.00 for the first key and the next 4 keys will not cost you to program. they will just charge for the key ~165.00.

OOUCH!! I turned down the last two cars I looked at because they only had a valet key... I laughed and walked away. If you can't afford to give the keys with the car you are selling then you never took care of it either.

Is there a Audi Key Troll out there or something come on your name is Rumplestlisken give us our keys back!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear

Buy the cheapest keyfob you can find on eBay, buy some uncut blades and take them to a real locksmith to make a copy of your key, then put that new blade in your keyfob and you have a second key you can use to lock/unlock all doors, arm/disarm the alarm, and close/open all windows and sun-roof. You may not be able to use the remote features but you'll still have a very functional key.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Buy the cheapest keyfob you can find on eBay, buy some uncut blades and take them to a real locksmith to make a copy of your key, then put that new blade in your keyfob and you have a second key you can use to lock/unlock all doors, arm/disarm the alarm, and close/open all windows and sun-roof. You may not be able to use the remote features but you'll still have a very functional key.
You mean take the key that function now and try to part it hoping it will work after?
The blade key are not a problem. I can find blanks on ebay for $10 and local locksmith will cut it for me for another $10.
But with not guarantee the chip will program, such a key would not start the car. I might give it a try anyway. Sure $20 is a good risk for beating $200 at dealer.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
It truley is amazing. You would be hard pressed to find one person that recieved two keys with thier used car. Where do they go?
ebay
The same apply to all better brands. I bough quite new Mercedes from a wholesale dealer and the car come with single key and no manuals.
I contacted the original owner and he assured me that everything was in the car when he turned it in.
I guess auction employees clean the cars from the extra keys, manuals, tool sets and first aid kits, so they can get $10 for them.
Actually whole Mercedes manual booklet cost me over $50 on ebay. I only wonder it that might be original from my car?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
You mean take the key that function now and try to part it hoping it will work after?
The blade key are not a problem. I can find blanks on ebay for $10 and local locksmith will cut it for me for another $10.
But with not guarantee the chip will program, such a key would not start the car. I might give it a try anyway. Sure $20 is a good risk for beating $200 at dealer.
What I said is that you make a copy of your existing key, so now you have 2 (two) working keys. I went with the key fob instead of a straight key because I like the fact that it folds up (no more holes in your pockets!)
The unfortunate part is that you still only have one working remote (your original), but you can use the new spare key to lock/unlock doors, roll-down/up windows, and open/close sunroof with both keys.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM

I already have a flip key. The whole purpose is to have spare key that will start the engine. I don't care about second remote. Ebay has new transponder key for 15.93
I bought one and hope the chip will work. Will keep you posted

Old 04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

I bought A key from remotes .com
I brought it to VW and they threw out my Internet blank and had anther one right there. so they cut that one for me and it did open the doors.
HOWEVER! the key also has a chip inside that needs to be programed and Audi could not program the chip. The chip will disable the vehicle so you will not be able to start it. Audi calls it an imobolizer. I am not talking about the remote fob that also did not work.
If I new everyone was so eager to waste money on crap I would not have sent mine back.
$75.00-internet special POS
$42.00-vw new blank and cut key
$317.00- Audi OEM key and program
$7.50-UPS return crap key and not get my money back.
GO-AHEAD and choose your route- there is mine and it would not be the first time I went down a dead end street and got blocked in by the people that were following me.

The cheapest way to go is order a valet key from Audi and you can open your door, arm and disarm manually by turning the key in the drivers door. Oh and start the car and drive it. I'm sure that would help.

Zippy what are you talking about. have you done this?please explain? If I can figure out how I'm going into the Audi key making buisness today. But I would like to know if your speaking from experience or shooting from the hip.

Last edited by Jackmup; 04-11-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
I bought A key from remotes .com
I brought it to VW and they threw out my Internet blank and had anther one right there. so they cut that one for me and it did open the doors.
HOWEVER! the key also has a chip inside that needs to be programed and Audi could not program the chip. The chip will disable the vehicle so you will not be able to start it. Audi calls it an imobolizer. I am not talking about the remote fob that also did not work.
If I new everyone was so eager to waste money on crap I would not have sent mine back.
$75.00-internet special POS
$42.00-vw new blank and cut key
$317.00- Audi OEM key and program
$7.50-UPS return crap key and not get my money back.
GO-AHEAD and choose your route- there is mine and it would not be the first time I went down a dead end street and got blocked in by the people that were following me.

The cheapest way to go is order a valet key from Audi and you can open your door, arm and disarm manually by turning the key in the drivers door. Oh and start the car and drive it. I'm sure that would help.

Zippy what are you talking about. have you done this?please explain? If I can figure out how I'm going into the Audi key making business today. But I would like to know if your speaking from experience or shooting from the hip.
Like you I got a key fob on eBay, the switchblade kind, for about $30.00, another $6.00 on eBay got a couple of blank blades. A real locksmith cut the new key for about $25.00. I put that new blade on my "new" keyfob and use it as a spare. Like you I use that key to lock/unlock doors, arm/disarm the alarm, and roll up/down all windows.
What I did not do was to re-program the transmitter on the keyfob. Don't know how, nor do I even know if it can be done. I just haven't tried.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear

Is your car equiped with an immobolizer? Inside the key blank itself mine has a microchip if it does not match the vehicle it will not start even if the key fits the ignition. I am not talking about the lower part with the buttons but the top part with the switch blade.

Both my cars have the immobilizer system.

Try this on your fob or lower part. Press the lock or unlock and within one minute put the key in the door and lock and unlock the car. Now see if your remote fob will work.