General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key will not arm system

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Key will not arm system

The interior switches all work so I can only make the assumption that they would show up. (Its very cold outside to go check.) Lets say that it is the pump. Any specific part that I can try to repair such as obvious disconnections of wires that need to be re-soldered, etc, or should I try to go to a junk yard and pillage a pump out of a car?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear

I forgot one thing. Those switchs arent in the cylinders themselvs but in the latch assemblys. There is a linkage that goes from the cylinders to the latchs. Im assuming the linkages are ok since they see the unlock signals but they could be your problem.
I would try locating a drivers door latch and unplugging the connector and plugging in the new one. Then manually moving the rod to see if the module sees the lock signal. The only problem is that if the dealer has to order the part, they wont take it back on return. If you go that route make sure they will return it before you get it.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

That would make sense to try that out. Now saying that my issue was not in that area, it would come down to needing a new pump, correct? Or at least a working pump, or an attempt to fix it.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear

I just noticed that the coding on your module doesnt notice any of audis coding. Thats not necessary a problem as you or someone else may have coded it for other features not available from the factory. You may want to try changing it to 16140 or 16172(for rolling door locks).
As for the pump, I think its only available with the module. Cant really think of any repairs thou. Whens the last time you know either of those lock cylinders locked the car? Maybe they are both bad.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear

That would make sense to try that out. Now saying that my issue was not in that area, it would come down to needing a new pump, correct? Or at least a working pump, or an attempt to fix it.
Not really a pump but the module connected to it. You know the pump is working because the doors lock when you use the interior lock button. But you are correct, if you dont have a latch issue you need a new module.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

I recoded it myself. Windows, rolling locks, etc. I have tried with the stock 16140 also. They never worked as I bought the car used and was dumb enough not to ask questions. It is my first Audi and I didn't really know what to look for. This was 7 months ago now. I just find it hard to beleive that both would have failed though? So the module is inside of the pump unit thing?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah i figured the coding wouldnt help at all . They both may be bad, you never know. One could have failed 3 years ago and the previous owner may have just never got it fixed. The other may have failed more recently. The pump and module is one unit. Its in the trunk on either the left or right side. Cant remember which.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Ok yeah it is on the right side. I'll probably go to the junk yard and try to pick up something that looks like its in good shape if i can find one and see if that works. I prefer to try that than take my door apart first because i have never taken my door apart. Or do you really think that checking the switches in the latch assemblies would be easier? I really don't know how much work that entails.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear

Theres a writeup on how to take the door panel off on audiworld. Pulling the door panel off isnt too hard. Personally im not a big fan of junkyard parts, because you never know whether they are working properly or not. Especially in this case when your going to use the part for diagnosis. Personally i would go after the latch first, but if i was you i would go after whatever part youll be able to return if it doesnt fix it.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all of the help dankhound. I think we really got somewhere.

Do any techs have suggestions after reading?

Quick Reply: Key will not arm system