General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lowering a 2007 A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Default Lowering a 2007 A4

Hello -
i am very new to the forum and i am sure this may have already been answered somewhere so i am sorry for a reposting.

I just bought a 2007 A4 and would like to lower it strictly for the looks of it. I am not into racing or tuning. i just think the car would look a bit more "menacing" dropped an inch.

What is the best way to do this without disrupting the handling and ride i currently enjoy? It came with 16" wheels but i also would like to switch them out for 18". Can someone reccomend how i could accomplish this?

Thanks,
John - Denver.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

audi comes stock with adjustable suspension just get it aligned after you do it. and theres not much to do about ride quality unless you buy all new suspension. and you suspension now will not last as long if you do lower it

congrats on the new audi im jellious

Old 12-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Matasci - dont be jealous...after i bought the car i then realized i could have gotten the 09 instead.
Thank you for the quick response. So if i understand, i can actually lower the suspension now as it does come stock with an adjustable "coilover". am i mistaken here? Also, if by lowering it my suspension will not last as long, would you then just reccoment installing larger wheels - from 16 to maybe 18's? i just want to achieve a more clean menacing look without it becoming a "tuner" looking car.

any suggestions? and thanks!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

i am not 100% positive but i'd bet it is adjutable. and it wouldnt last as long due to you would be giving your struts less distance to travel and by putting a lower angle or angel however you spell it. it puts more stress on your drive axels, stuts and control arms. but its all theroy anyway ive been low since ive had it and had to replace things at regular intervals

adding bigger wheels with the lowering only makes it worse as you would have less rubber to dampen road shock. but since its brand new it will still ride nice.

if your just gonna trade it in i would lower it with the stock suspension and put bigger wheels on it. lower is always better for me any way. if your gonna ride it till the wheels fall off and dont wanna buy all new suspension then just do the rims.

it will look mean eather way just stay away from all the stickers and stuffed animals hanging off it and you should be good

hope i helped

Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 AM

yes - this has been a big help and an eye opener! i will just stick with bigger wheels.

thanks so much for the advice and help!