General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Major ELECTRICAL glitch, any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Major ELECTRICAL glitch, any ideas???

Hello all! I have a 2002 A6 3.0l quattro that I swear came from the bottom of the lake! Here are the electrical bugs that seem to be happening, and nope, no warranty - bought from a dealer in May 06 with 66k miles on it, as is, up to 91 now (Realtor, I drive a lot)

Hazard / blinker relay makes clicking / squeeling sound on its own all the time (already replaced the relay, didnt fix the problem)
Horn doesnt work (sometimes it partially works, usually nothing)
Interior lights will all the sudden light up like a door is open and wont turn off, eventually they go off(I park the car at night, in the morning they are off)
When the interior lights come on the lock/unlock buttons for the doors wont work

Any clues at all? I have no idea where to start and can only imagine the shop bill for the repairs..

thanks,

Lawrence

Old 09-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Major ELECTRICAL glitch, any ideas???

WOW, do you feed your car AFTER midnight, cause you've got some SERIOUS Gremlins, my friend.

Now, honestly, my automotive expertise is mostly centered around stuff I've hadda fix, myself, from time-to-time. NONE of the issues you've listed have ever happened to me (tok-tok<---Me, knocking wood).

I'm gonna start with teh obvious, so please don't take offense. Have you checked teh fuses? Or, more importantly, have you had a Priest exorcise your vehicle, LATELY?!?!?!

Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 PM
4th Gear

With headlights off and driving, does the volt meter read 14 volts?

Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

I'll check on my way home today but I want to say its always over to the right - will let you know in a bit.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Yes - checked it on the drive home, right on the white line between 12 and 16!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

Anyone ever had electrical work done to their car before? Could water be getting to wires some how?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 PM
4th Gear

I have no idea. I thought there could be one thing causing these problems.

Try removing the hazard relay and interior light bulb.
Maybe the door lock problem will go away.

lol, good luck.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:26 AM
1st Gear

audis are pretty notorious for electrical problems. im havin trouble with mine right now actually, it will barely start :/

Old 10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

This makes me worry, this is my first Audi ( 1999 A6 2.4 Tiptronic with the round bootlid rear ) Bought it a month ago
After church on Sunday the radio still work fine, today _ Wednesday eve climb in car while not used for 3 days, switch radio on and CD mode, music come on then emediately start loud then soft and does it continiously. press mode and would not change to radio. no responce. put in cassette, it takes it in but would not play cassette. start car up, still nothing but now sound is gone, switch on the Parking lights the the volume is higher but goes
soft _loud_ soft_loud. Low Beam is same with higher volume and full beams the volume goes up more but still intermittent sound and with headlights on i could change MODE from CD to Radio and then could eject cassette
if i switch off headlights now there is no sound

the radio is Audi Concert

is there anywhere to find Complete Electrical Scematic for this car (URL please), Haynes manual ???? cant find on www for this model, is there another model which should have exact same wiring?

I am in South Africa Vhd Kzn

Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 PM

I have exactly the same problems you have! It all started today. First, the hazards went on randomly and I had to turn it off via the hazard switch on the dash. Then, I realized the interior dome lights would stay on all the time unless they were moved into the "off" position. Then, I realized my signals don't flash when I lock or unlock the car. Also, the audible noise confirmation that the car is locked isn't there anymore either. Then, after reading your post I checked the horn to find out that it isn't working either. What did you end up doing to fix all of these electrical problems? I'm bringing my car in tomorrow but I am just interested to see how you resolved this.

Quick Reply: Major ELECTRICAL glitch, any ideas???