General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MAJOR jerking/surging slipping -- trans??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Default MAJOR jerking/surging slipping -- trans??

more problems than I can list: A6 '01, 4.2 Quatro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i LOVE this car.
I HATE THIS CAR.

just about EVERY repair item listed - we've had issues, and/or replaced. no audi dealership within 2 hours of here.

MAF replaced TWICE.
hoses replaced.
timing belt service @ dealership w over $1500 other 'items'....
spent another $1600 this past summer.
now CAT convert is 'out' --- $2300 quote from dealer; have asked SEVERAL local shops to do after market - ANYTHING ... but none can find it or will do it.
NOT gunna spend that kind of money.--- DO NOT HAVE that kinda money!!!

NOW---- JUST 10 mins ago ..... transmission (i guess??) MAJORLY slipping!!!
J
UST had the inner and outter tie rods (DRIVER'S SIDE ONLY) replaced due to CRAZY loud noises!!, and tires aligned & balanced at local (very nice) tire shop ---- {they DO NOT usually deal with 'audi' - but do for us.}

COULD THEIR SERVICE AND REPLACEMENT OF TIE RODS AND ALIGNMENT have done something to the trans?????

*I'M A CHICK ... so PLEASE no 'short cuts' with the discussions ... i get lost when i'm trying to read some of your previous threads with just letters for words.... I'M SORRY!!!! (need more testosterone to understand -- i guess???)

have a home diagnositic tool. got the 3 codes below:
(think the first 2 are the cat convert --- which I cannot AFFORD to fix ---- & was told it is 'optional' as far as 'needing' it to operate ...?)
so ... is it causing the MAJOR transmission slipping??? or could the tire shop have done something when they put on new tie rods and aligned & balanced tires???)

BANK ONE:
PO171
BANK TWO:
PO174
third code:
P0441
EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYTEM INCORRECT PURGE FLOW

THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO & ASSISTANCE!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails MAJOR jerking/surging slipping -- trans??-100_0170.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

when it comes to the cat, the OEM ones are INCREDIBLY expensive. If you must pass emissions just get an aftermarket high flow and have a muffler shop weld it in. Shouldn't run more than a few hundred bucks. I wouldn't even worry about it unless you have to pass emissions. The third code has something to do with the fuel system, check the fuel cap first then do some research.

the tie rods and other stuff shouldn't have anything to do with the tranny unless they were horsing around. Check your tranny fluid. It would help if you describe more of what you are experiencing, as you only "guess" its the transmission.

as far as the cost... welcome to my worst 4 ringed nightmare.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

when i was stopped at a traffic light then tried to go forward again.... I pressed the gas (as usual) ... but the engine revved --- while the car did not speed up & just BARELY moved forward.... then it jerked -- HARD forward.

will do that every time --- unless i barely press the gas and ease forward.

but even -- at a low speed -- it feels like i'm giving it more gas than the speed indicates.

like i mentioned --- jerking, slipping, etc. (I've had another vehicle w ruined trans --- and this 'feels' like that.)

(about the CAT .. i found someone who would 'replace' it but two shops (who tried) said they could not find an aftermarket CAT...

* the ONLY reason i would replace it (since i don't have to pass any emmissions tests ...) is to avoid any other issues and/or to STOP the constant engine light from being on all the time.

Last edited by tarabparker; 12-30-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM
gcv
1st Gear

Hi,

Catalytic Converter:

do an Ebay search on:

"Audi A6 Catalytic 4.2 2001"

and you will get a page full of responses. The prices range from about $250 to $370 and there seam to be both left hand and right hand models. You will have to find out which one is for your car.

You then require a mechanic that will fit it for you.

TRANSMISSION

As for the surging this is a more pressing issue as the car sounds undrivable. As mentioned above, check the transmission oil level but other than that you can try taking it to a transmission mechanic. But of course, that will cost you.

Do some research in your area for a good mechanic that has worked on Audi's. You need to build up a level of trust with them so that when you take your car in, you feel confident they are looking after you. They may not be the cheapest but they know what they're doing. Stay away from the dealership service centres if you can, for the sake of your finances.

Good luck

gcv