General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mayo on inside of oil filler cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Default Mayo on inside of oil filler cap

Anyone help? Some 'mayo' has started appearing on the inside of my A4 (2001 1.8T quattro) oil filler cap. However, oil level is OK as is water level.

I took it for a gentle 10 mile run yesterday (Sunday 20.03) not over 65mph on the motorway and checked the filler cap straight afterwards, then 2 hours thereafter. No mayo? Is this indicative of something seriously wrong, should I get the head gasket changed?

Also local audi dealer tells me that the timing belt needs changing every 80k but handbook say 100k or 110k - again any help would be appreciated.

ta.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Mayo on inside of oil filler cap

On this forum , we change the timing belt between 60 and 90K mi. I believe you have the AWM engine which came with an updated tensioner.

Short drives , where the engine doesn't warm up fully can cause water to condense in the oil.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
6th Gear

yeah I had the same problem with the white gunk.

You are def going to want to get the engine checked out. It could be a blown head gasket allowing coolant into the engine.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Administrator

That *mayo* you're looking at is teh oil frothing up on ya. Water, or antifreeze has contaminated your oil, somehow or another (there are too many possibilities to cover them ALL), through a failed seal or gasket. In the Cuisinart... I mean inside your engine, it gets all whipped up, floats to teh top and accumulates on your cap. You need to spend the money it'll take to track down teh problem, NOW, because it's only going to get worse. I had a similar problem with a Nissan Cherry I had, back in Germany, years ago. Only paid $470.00 U$D for the car, so I just kept topping off teh gas tank everytime I filled up the crankcase, until I finally threw the POS away.

There are places that can analyze your oil sample and tell you what, exactly, is contaminating your oil. That will give you an idea of where to start troubleshooting. I don't personally know of any specific place that will provide such a service (since I never needed it done), just that they exist. If noting else, I'd say check out some of the places around your local airport, since it's more a service done for aircraft than automobile. Maybe available near/around a racetrack, if there's a major one near where you roam. Maybe someone else on here will know and post a link for you...

Old 04-30-2005, 09:59 PM

COULD IT BE AS SIMPLE AS A COLD RUNNING ENGINE, SHORT TRIPS, TOO LONG A PERIOD BETWEEN OIL CHANGES? THAT'S WHERE I'D START

Old 04-30-2005, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

not sure if this is of any use... but my parents had the same problem with there car... its was leaking coolant for the longest time and that mayo like substance was showing up in the oil. They didn't do anything but kept refilling it, ended up having to change the engine b/c a head gasket blew... get it checked out as soon as possible... the mechanic told my parents that it could have been fixed if they had brought it in once they noticed the coolant...

best of luck dude

Old 05-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

That *mayo* you're looking at is teh oil frothing up on ya. Water, or antifreeze has contaminated your oil, somehow or another (there are too many possibilities to cover them ALL), through a failed seal or gasket. In the Cuisinart... I mean inside your engine, it gets all whipped up, floats to teh top and accumulates on your cap. You need to spend the money it'll take to track down teh problem, NOW, because it's only going to get worse. I had a similar problem with a Nissan Cherry I had, back in Germany, years ago. Only paid $470.00 U$D for the car, so I just kept topping off teh gas tank everytime I filled up the crankcase, until I finally threw the POS away.

There are places that can analyze your oil sample and tell you what, exactly, is contaminating your oil. That will give you an idea of where to start troubleshooting. I don't personally know of any specific place that will provide such a service (since I never needed it done), just that they exist. If noting else, I'd say check out some of the places around your local airport, since it's more a service done for aircraft than automobile. Maybe available near/around a racetrack, if there's a major one near where you roam. Maybe someone else on here will know and post a link for you...
I HATE having to quote myself, but...

Old 05-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Senior Administrator

Found one:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

There are others, too...