General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My car has amnesia... among other things..

Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
1st Gear
Default My car has amnesia... among other things..

01 allroad...

A drain plug got clogged in my engine compartment and filled up with water. (the area where the battery sits) Well water came in and soaked the floor on both sides of the front seat... and who knows where else. (I know some modules are stored under there) I also heard water hitting the air intake fan for the climate control. (didn't realize that's what I was hearing til afterwards)

Initially my ABS and BRAKE lights lit up. Then, I couldn't get my car out of park. Prior to finding the wet floor... I checked all my fuses by pulling them. After that, things went from bad to worse. My car seems to have been reset? I've got a million warning lights on, but everything more-or-less works. Climate works... radio works.. car runs..

"BRAKE" - blinking
ABS - on
CEL- on
EPC- on
ABS - on
Traction - on
battery - on
clock and date - reset

But when I went to start it yesterday, it asked me to depress the clutch to start. (it's auto) Eventually it let me start it anyhow... and I got it 3 miles home from my office. It refused to shift into 5th all the way home. Tiptronic didn't work.

I recall seeing somewhere to retrain the ECU by just leaving the key in "on" position for 5 minutes? Is that right?

I plan to put a dehumidifier in the car later tonight to dry it out. Can I still be optimistic since things are still somewhat working? Maybe I just need to remind the car that it's an allroad?

Help!!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 AM
1st Gear

now this is really a bad way of treating your master....
amnesia is an understatement......