General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My Used Audi and Keys Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Default My Used Audi and Keys Issue

Hello everyone. I just recently purchased a used 1999 2.8L A4. The seller, who happens to be the 2nd owner only gave me the valet key and no other keys. When asked about it, he says that's the only key he had given to him. Thumbing through the manual, it looks like there are at least 3 other keys that are supplied with the car, when purchased new. Right now I use the valet key to manually unlock/lock the car. It would be nice in the future to have all the keys or the switchblade key if it is available for the '99.

How do I go about acquiring the keys? I'm assuming I'd have to pay an arm and a leg to get the proper keys, especially the switchblade key. Anyone have any info? Thanks!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Default RE: My Used Audi and Keys Issue

im sure you can buy them on eBay its the remote your looking for the key you have is the master key ( never heard of a valet key ) at least not in the UK, basically you missing the remote which is not uncommon because people lose them or too greedy to fit new batteries lol then forget where they put the remote

Old 10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. I read the manual that came with the car and the key has the valet symbol on it. The key is only good for the door and ignition. I cannot lock the glove compartment or unlock the trunk with it. I guess I'll have to look for a used remote. Thanks again for the info!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

no... you cannot combine the valet w/ a remote.

you can buy used remotes and program them to your central locking control module... but you have to buy the key part of the complete deal from the dealer. they have to special cut your key... i believe its like 45.00 for key and 30.00 for the remote.

you can program them yourself tho. but you need to buy the key key part from the dealer... no exceptions.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear

Generally if you have keys (cut) you could be able to reprogram the remote (only) by yourself.
Will not be able to start the car.
The immobilizer reprogramming could be done only by dealers!

https://www.audiforums.com/m_670895/tm.htm

Check the Audi dealers for price.
Check VW dealers if they could sell you key and reprogram it (their prices are much cheaper).

Dobby

Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Bah...

Pre 2002 Audi A4s didn't have the immobilizer feature...

You can program the remote functions on your own. It's easy after you properly do it the first time... But that first time can be kinda complicated if you don't have detailed directions...

Any good locksmith that specializes in cars should be able to cut an Audi/BMW/Mercedes key. It's just a special cutting rig.

Just make sure you get the proper remote. IE: 3 button or 4 button. Don't quote me, but yours should use a 3 button (lock, unlock, panic). The remotes with the trunk pop should work, but they're completely pointless in your appliciation. Not to mention that the lock and unlock buttons are a lot smaller. I prefer the larger buttons.