General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Name this part (with pic)

Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Name this part (with pic)

Car: 1995 Audi Cabriolet, V6, 130k miles

I noticed an awfully big puddle (hydraulic fliud?) directly under the trunk of the car. I am guessing this may have something to do with the automatic convertible top not going up/down consistently. My Bentley's manual is on its way this week, but in the meantime, can someone help me identiy the part? What is the fluid?

[IMG]local://upfiles/38040/4AAB8DA66E474A39904D1A3276C7D018.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38040/49B05F74DD8B431BBC1772002ABC1659.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38040/D567740A023C4FA1ADC7FDD65C74D9EE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Name this part (with pic)

I didnt even know the cabriolets used a hydraulic pump for the top...

Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Site Moderator

Yes thats the hydraulic resivior cylinder for the convertible top, the top is hydraulic.
It probably has several leaking lines to go along with the leaking resivior.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

The picture is the drain for your trunk.Unless you put something in the trunk that spilled, that fluid is your convertible top hydraulic reservoir fluid - the same fluid that is in the power steering. Make sure you buy the right stuff. The plastic reservoir has been know to crack, and there is a replacement part. Could be theplate that holds all the lines to the pump is loose (I doubt it), or a line is leaking. Take all the trim panelsout of the trunk and look at the pump. It's in the right rear quarter panel. Look for the leak. Hopefully it willbe obvious. The Bentleys manual is important, but if you have additional convertible top problems, there is no substitute for the manual titled The New Audi Cabriolet. It is Self-Study Program 221 and covers the top in depth.Pictures attached.Let us know what you find.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18961/8FBAFF91A5CC4673B1A2305718102E7B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18961/8FF7AEF208BE44CCBAFADA2FA434CBEF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

Great stuff guys, thanks for the timely responses. I checked the hydraulic pump and saw that it is leaking. I'll dig into that more when I get my "The New Audi Cabriolet SP-221" manual (ordering it today). I'll post my progress so other members can benefit (maybe a hydraulic pump repair DIY).

Does anyone have any reccomendations on where to go for parts (like the trunk drain gasket)? I would usually call dealerships/local auto shops, but not sure if the community had any suggestions.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

I hate to mention this, but SP-221 coverssystem operation and wiring but does not tell you how to rebuild the pump. Neither does Bentleys. In fact, parts for the pump other than the plastic reservoir are not obtainable through Audi. They want to sell the whole pump assembly for about $2400. Pick your chin back up off the floor, you probably don't need a new one. This assembly looks like it was machined out of a sold block of metal so you most likely have a cracked or loose reservoir, or one of the valves is loose, or the o-ring between the pump and motor is leaking.You will have to remove it to really inspect that plastic reservoir, and/or to tighten things up.(I'm still betting on the reservoir)It is pretty straight forwardexcept that all 3 forwardnuts holdingin the assemblyare of the squeezed lock nut variety and will not spin off by hand. Take out the spare tire to get at them. Also, the rear nut is accessed through a rubberplug in the body just behind it, and you get at thatfrom under the bumper with a deep socket. Don't think you are going to use an open endwrench on it because it will round off. (Guess how I know that!)The plug is painted. Just push it out.Don't waste money on the trunk drainunless the oil destroyed it. Clean it off.It is rubber and should also push out if you want.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:13 AM

The hydraulic reservoir cracks and is almost certainly the problem. Bit of tupperware only $80 from Audi. Pump needs to come out to replace the reservoir. System uses Pentosin fluid.

Cheers, Jan

Old 08-04-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

So I finally got to opening up the trunk tot try to inspect the damage. Surely enough, there was hydraulic fluid all over. I was looking at the Bentley manual and attempted to follow the directions to remove the pump (see attachment 1). My problem is that there does not appear to be a way to get to "nut 1". It is completely behind the fuel tank!

Is there a trick that I am missing? The Bentleys says nothing of gas tank removal for this procedure.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38040/D2BD1680259943A996D043D3D2A8ACCF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Bump...I still need help with this. Anyone?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: hubturn

The picture is the drain for your trunk.Unless you put something in the trunk that spilled, that fluid is your convertible top hydraulic reservoir fluid - the same fluid that is in the power steering. Make sure you buy the right stuff. The plastic reservoir has been know to crack, and there is a replacement part. Could be theplate that ...
Are you sure about that? I am not our hydraulic expert, but in most high pressure convertible hydraulic systems Karmann uses the fluid is not power steering fluid. I will have to talk to our hydraulics guys to find out when he is back from a supplier next week...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Name this part (with pic)