General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need electrial help with my 89 CQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 PM
1st Gear
Default need electrial help with my 89 CQ

Well, i posted in the classics section, but i thought i can get some help here too.. my 89 has some probs hehe..

If the brake is pressed down, the left turn signal inside(and the rear fog light "on" is lit) just stays lit (no bliniking) the front turn light on the bumper is just ON instead of blinking Let go of the brake, and then the blinker inside goes nuts, and the front bumper turn light blinks fast too!! Things get worse when the headlights are ON hehhehe... if you turn the hazzards are on, everthing on the right side works fine.. but the rear driver turn light stays ON, and the brake light area blinks?!?! I think the drivers brake light it out anyway..
The front turn signals by the headlights dont work either... i looked at the driver side one, there is NO BULB OR SOCKET?!?!.. the passanger one has a bulb, but i didnt take anything out to see why its not working.. is it possible to get the parts for the driver side?? I need the brakes and turn signals working so i can get my car inspected on base (my wife and i are in the military). If i FAIL the inspection, i cant get anymore temp plates for another SIX MONTHS!! So I REALLY NEED TO PASSS and i need your help

Ppl have been saying it may be bad grounds?? I have been looking into the Bentley manual for help too.. the grounds are located under the dash on the rt side kick pannel...

One quick question on the heated mirrors.. i found a black and yellow wire LOOSE in the housing behind the glass.. do they go into the motor area? Hook together?? My car had no side mirrow glass and i have no idea where they go. ANy help trying to solve this electrical nightmare would be awesome I love the car, and its hella fun to drive on the autobahn, in the daytime only for now hehe

Old 12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Default RE: need electrical help with my 89 CQ

I would be looking at the front indicator/blinker that has no bulb or holder, if the wires were chopped then this will create a short if wires touching "one bulb out makes the blinker flash faster" ground problem on the lighting circuit will effect all light functions including break lights

Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: need electrial help with my 89 CQ

i THINK i fixed it.. i messed with it all day today... well the blinker stopped flashing fast ( i dont know if that is forever, or just for today, its hard to say really).. i messed with both sides of the rear tail lights.. I think water leaks in on the drivers side, bec my spare tire area is always wet. BUT I messed around with the bulbs, and they ALL work, execpt for one rear fog light bulb and one brake light bulb's element is burned out, but the other one is ok.. i guess thats why that side was dimmer.. I even fixed the seat heaters, NO FUSE.. but one switch is bad, ill deal with that later. The lights in the back seem weird, if you bump them wrong or something, the bulb will go out? I found some violet wires comming off the rear tail light harnesses, they didnt connect to anything on both sides.. what are these for?

Where are the grounds located and what do they look like?? In the Bentley manual, it says to the rear of trunk (i guess where those violet wires were?).. and a lot of grounds for things seem to be under the kick pannel on the drivers side, but i was not for sure, so i didnt want to mess with that. Where there is no bulb or socket... i didnt see ANY wires comming out of the harness, which is rather weird. There is a CHOPPED wire comming out of the firewall, its white... and i dont know where it leads to? I could post a pict of what im talking about. I just hope things dont suddenly change...

by the way, the contacts for the rear bulbs seems kinda corroded so i cleaned them up.. Thanks for the info, more to come!! OH by the way, i was working on the lights so much today i drained the battery