General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help! Heat problems

Old 11-18-2016, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help! Heat problems

My temp guage will baerly go above cold. I was told to change the thermostat but if it was thermostat wouldnt i still have heat? I have absolutly no heat. I just bought the car about a week ago not realizing this issue. I did the thing on the climate control to see if it was throwing any codes, and it is giving me 3 codes. I have searched google up and down to try to figure it out but kept hitting dead ends. Any help is appreciated. Thank you'll in advance.
The car is a 1996 audi a4 quattro 2.8

Old 11-20-2016, 03:03 AM
2nd Gear

You need to bleed the coolant system to get all the air out. Waterpumps do not move air very well. What are the OBD Codes that are being shown.?

Old 11-20-2016, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
You need to bleed the coolant system to get all the air out. Waterpumps do not move air very well. What are the OBD Codes that are being shown.?
I flushed the system along with bleeding all of it also, yesterday.
The codes that are being shown are

Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear

Cant say that I recognize those codes. Any OBD codes?

A little Googling yielded a "Refrigerant Pressure" code on the 22.1. Still you should get heat with out it. It almost sounds like a Climate Control flap Controller issue to me.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

Cant say that I recognize those codes. Any OBD codes?

A little Googling yielded a "Refrigerant Pressure" code on the 22.1. Still you should get heat with out it. It almost sounds like a Climate Control flap Controller issue to me.

I tried googling myself and couldnt find anything myself.
Im not sure how to check for OBD codes. Can i take it to advance auto and have it hooked to there comouter or do i have to take it to a dealer?

Old 11-22-2016, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Blong120886
I tried googling myself and couldnt find anything myself.
Im not sure how to check for OBD codes. Can i take it to advance auto and have it hooked to there comouter or do i have to take it to a dealer?
So i just put this thing on a computer received the codes
P0322
P0116
P1504
P0401
The only one that seemed revelant is the p0116, but i still dont understand why i wouldnt have heat

Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear

Just a shot in the dark here, try pressing the ECON button on the Climate Control and see if it comes alive and puts out heat.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Just a shot in the dark here, try pressing the ECON button on the Climate Control and see if it comes alive and puts out heat.
I tried that just now and nothing ...i also took the 2 hoses off where they go into the firewall, and there is barely any antifreeze coming out of the one on the right side and absolutly nothing out of the side with the bleeder hole. Is the water pump the reason it wouldn't be flowing whatsoever?
Im stumped!!!!!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear

If the water pump wasn't working, the engine would be over heating.

Try this.. Carefully fill the coolant lines you took loose and reconnect them. Yes, it will be a little messy or just use a little distilled water. It won't take much to fill them up. Then with the bleeder caps off figure a way to get some coolant into the bleeder holes. Some suitably small tubing and a small funnel should work. Fill the thing up till it overflows on both bleeder holes.. Cap them and fire it up. It could be that there is just a massive air bubble in the system. A waterpump cannot pump air.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

If the water pump wasn't working, the engine would be over heating.

Try this.. Carefully fill the coolant lines you took loose and reconnect them. Yes, it will be a little messy or just use a little distilled water. It won't take much to fill them up. Then with the bleeder caps off figure a way to get some coolant into the bleeder holes. Some suitably small tubing and a small funnel should work. Fill the thing up till it overflows on both bleeder holes.. Cap them and fire it up. It could be that there is just a massive air bubble in the system. A waterpump cannot pump air.

I will do that in the morning and let you know the results. I appreciate it alot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help! Heat problems