General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with radio in safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 02:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help with radio in safe mode

Hi everyone
I need some help with my 1997 Audi Cabriolet Audi Delta radio. It is in safe mode and I could not get it to work. I tried all the things you guys have listed in this forum such as pressing FM2 and RDS spontaneously, leave the radio on for one hour to reset and start it over again etc. Nothing works. What else do I need to do? or maybe it is different with this model.
By the way, do you know can I get manual repair for my Audi or not? I don't like the CDs. I would rather have books. thanks

Anthony

Old 08-05-2005, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Need help with radio in safe mode

You need to put in the security code after pressing the fm2/rds buttons.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

I read the instruction from this forum that the word SAFE will disappear then I enter my code. It did not happen. The word SAFE is just there and it doesnt accep the code.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Sorry I was wrong. The word SAFE will disappear when I press FM2 and RDS then I enter my code. It did not happen. The word SAFE is always there.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

Hate to say it but it sounds like a trip to the dealership is in store, or just by a new head unit. Thats what I would do. LOL

Old 08-07-2005, 12:32 AM
1st Gear

After you enter your code, you need to press the FM2 and RDS again to confirm it. If the code is not correct, it won't come out of safe mode and will show the word SAFE again. At this case you can go to the dealer and get them to retrieve the code for you. They'll charge typically half an hour of labour (minimum charge) and give you the code as well as enter it into the radio.

Check out this website for complete instructions:

Audi Radios

Good luck....

Oh BTW if you would to change the radio unit, I have a brand new one (it is really brand new) with the security code. I bought it for my A6 (it was in safe mode and I wasn't sure if it would ever work again!). But I got the code in it and it works. So I have this unit sitting in my room!

Let me know if you want that.

Kianoosh

Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

Is it the CD player or cassette? I have a TT with the Concert cassette HU.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Default here!!!! it just solved my 'safe' problem

May i just add.. i called an audi dealership to solve my 'safe' problem.. they said it would cost me 40 bucks to fix my radio. insted.. it cost me 40 min of my day to fix my radio.

i hope this website helps you as much as it did me.

anyways.. here!!

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/5823.phtml

-Ben O.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Radio problem solved

Just as Ben O.'s experience went, so did mine just now! Check it, folks, on mine ('97 A6 Quattro) the buttons to move 'SAFE' to '1000' where you can change to your code, then lock it in at the end, are: FM1/2 and DX (not the RDS) Try it.
I got lucky I think--there was a sticker in my owners manual with a radio serial no, and with it a separate 4-digit and on the hope that was the code I tried it--and the radio plays!
Thanks for the great tip, Ben O.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kianoosh
Check out this website for complete instructions:

Audi Radios

Good luck....

Kianoosh
Thanks Kianoosh, I had to jump start my car this am and the link you provided was very helpful!

Quick Reply: Need help with radio in safe mode