General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Info on codes asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Info on codes asap

[X(][:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

well my car is acting really wierd and i took it to autozone for a check engine
it gave me four codes which 2 of them i know and i can fix myself
one is an oxygen sensor and the other is a spark plug failure on cylender 2
will a tune up fix the spark plug problem???

as for the other two i dont know what they are and i dont want to go to the dealer

they are P0491 and P0492

if anyone can help me as fast as possible it would be helpfull
thankyou

Old 04-28-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need Info on codes asap

Misfire Cylinder 2 is most likely that you need a coil and not a spark plug. When the car is at idle does the Check Engine Light flash?
P0491( Secndary air injection bank 1)
P0492 ( Secondary air Injection Bank 2) Check your vacuum hoses for any leaks.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

well thanks for the help..... i am really new at this mechanic stuff, and starting with an audi is a really bad start to learn about cars lol

ok starting first, yes the engine light does flash..... when im going between 25 to 35 mph
and sometimes when im still, man the car shakes, i got scared cause this happened unexpectatly
as for the coil, you might be right the other two codes are p0130 and p0302

i plan to fix the coil problem first, and see if the oxygen sensor gets eliminated..... since i beleive thats why its acting bad,

now for the leak, i am not sure where to check, i replaced a T thing that connected the radiator, the place where the antifreeze is hold, and another hoze connected to the engine since the last one was broken, or i broke (by the way... just to be sure what antifreeze do i use, i was using the wrng one, but i couldnt figure out which one to use)

but smoke comes out near the water temp sensor which i also replace, ibut i cant see where it comes from, thats only after i turn of the engine

this is horrible because i had the car for about 1 and a half and i dont want to mess this up

this is turning to be too much and i might just send it to a mechanic......

Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

CHeck all of the small vacuum hoses follow each and everyone of them. Make sure there aren't any cracked or broken ones.
YOur suppose to put the pinkantifreeze in it from the dealership. YOur coolant leak is coming from the coolant flange.See where you changed the Temp sensor. That's the flange that goes into the back of the motor. Is ita 1.8T?If so the leak is common.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 AM
1st Gear

no its a a6 2.8L

ill check the water temp, since i thought that think was made really cheap......... as for the antifreeze ill get that fisrt thing tomarrow
i hate getting things from the dealer their are kinda far, but anything for my car......

as for the coil.... should i replace all of them?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:46 AM
1st Gear

Just replace coil #2. For the temp sensor did you also use a new o-ring seal? Best bet is to look at it when it's hot. Use a flashlight and a mirror to check for leaks or corossions around the hosesbehind the motor.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks this helps me alot..
now down to buisnies...... will i be able to install the coil, meaning is it easy because if it aint ill just take it to a mechanic
well what side is cylender 2 and which one of the 3 is it?
as i said i got a 01 a6 2.8L

and for the hoses ill check and see because i did put a new o-ring

would u recomend me drive the car for a good 10 mins and then check?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

ok i was looking for the coil thing you said and i found nothing on that on my car only the 2.7 and the 1.8 have those coils

but i found that my ignition wires look the same as the coils........ are those two thing the same???

and if so can someone tell me how to take them off and put the new ones, because then i would want to replace all of them .....if any special tools needed , or anything specific is needed

plss help, i use my car alot and i havent driven it for about 4 days lol

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

The COIL's that i'm talking about is short for IGNITION coils that are right over your spark plugs in the cylinders. Disconnect the wire from the coil. Cylinder #2 ison Bank 1(leftside by the airbox). The middle one is #2. There easy to replace.
Yes drive the car to get it hot til the temp gauge is in the middle. then look for leaks and check your coolant resevoir for cracks also.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

ok, well as i said before..... i am currently using the wrong antifreeze and that was for a while now thats a big oops

as for the coils yea i checked the engine and that looks easy to replace
these would be it right??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29
and if so, what brand do u recomend
bosch, ngk, duralast,beck arnley?????

thanks again this is ganna help me so much

Quick Reply: Need Info on codes asap