General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new a4 2.8 need some help

Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 AM
1st Gear
Default new a4 2.8 need some help

Hey I just bought a 96 a4 2.8 quattro with 146k miles and was just wondering what are some things I should be checking for, Im pretty sure the a-arms are bad everytime I brake check they clunk and when I accelerate quickly there is a jolt followed by a thud? Im leaning towards an engine mount? but not to sure. What other problems should I be lookin for?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a4nick
Hey I just bought a 96 a4 2.8 quattro with 146k miles and was just wondering what are some things I should be checking for, Im pretty sure the a-arms are bad everytime I brake check they clunk and when I accelerate quickly there is a jolt followed by a thud? Im leaning towards an engine mount? but not to sure. What other problems should I be lookin for?
Front engine mount (snub mount) likely. On accell/decell the engine will lift up in the front and the metal part of the mount will contact the lock carrier, then slam down off-torque.The primary engine mounts should be inspected for GP. They are fluid filled and do fail from time to time. Front upper control arm bushing faill all the time. Usually will get a metal on metal sound and/or a clunk when executing hard left or right turns. Need to check your timing belt replacement history. Need to do it every 60k. Top end oil seals are common for oil leakages. Outter cv boots should be checked for tears.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Alright thanks man I appreciate the help

Search this Thread