General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Here, looking at a new car

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM
1st Gear
Default New Here, looking at a new car

Hello, new to this form (and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post). I currently own a '97 ford F-350 diesel that I have been using as my daily driver (100 miles round trip to my new job location). I'm looking to get a 00-03 AUDI A4.

I'm very mechanically inclined, but the majority of my expense is with diesel engines and hydraulic systems.

What are some of the trouble areas I should be aware of? When is the normal intervals to replace the timing belt? Is this something that can be done DIY?

Looking to get a something that will probably with over 100k on the clock. needs to be pretty reliable because I'm going to have it on the highway at 85+mph every day.

How is the fuel millage on the 1.8 vs 3.0 engines w/ quattro? does the awd system require additional maintence, more worn parts like CV joints?

Please educate me as much as you can, thanks for your time

Robb

Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Was this the appropriate place to post such a question? If not, can someone direct me to where I should post this?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

56 views and not one comment... I'm thinking Audi might not be the way to go...

Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Perhaps try your post in the A4 section, if you are specifically looking to purchase an A4. Might get more of a response there.